(Kickstarter) Shadow Gangs: 80's ninja arcade action revival

This section contains Dreamcast related news articles and topics.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Poll: Do you like the look of Dan the hero of Shadow Gangs

Yes, keep him as he is
66%
He look better in long Jeans (like Cody in final fight)
34%
Total votes: 29

Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG

Re: (Kickstarter) Shadow Gangs: 80's ninja arcade action revival

Post#51 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:33 pm

shadowgangs wrote:
krssn wrote:I like the character just the way he is.

Sometimes you're better off not overthinking things.

My two cents...

He'll come in different colours too, not just the black suit.

Yeah, I'm cool with the current look, 700 pounds is a lot of money. Good idea regarding when you power up to a ninja, if you get hit, you morph back to the fighter form instead of dying. - Makes sense to me.

Unless it costs you money you could do a mock-up of what the physical versions might look like and add it to the kickstarter page. It gives people something to envisage.

Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG

Post#52 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:42 pm

So, I messaged Dreamcast-Scene and Sega bits about the campaign, could someone ask tom at the junkyard if he'd give a mention to Shadow Gangs and its campaign?

shadowgangs
Doom

Post#53 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:04 pm

Wrath of Khan wrote:700 pounds is a lot of money.

Yes, sprites are around 200 in height with around £9 per sprite...
But I think this is the way to go, High res and good looking.
If the campaign is successful, in the end when all the new characters are done, I'll ask the sprite artist who did Dan and the ninjas to redo the Gunman, the man with knifew and the biker type.
Of course with the extra frames for smooth animations.

Wrath of Khan wrote:Good idea regarding when you power up to a ninja, if you get hit, you morph back to the fighter form instead of dying. - Makes sense to me.

Yes, I think this way we get to see Dan in fighter form more often :), instead of ninja all the time after collecting the power up.
This will also mean the bosses can make Dan go back to it's fighter form if he gets hit, as he'll face bosses directly as a ninja.

Wrath of Khan wrote:Unless it costs you money you could do a mock-up of what the physical versions might look like and add it to the kickstarter page. It gives people something to envisage.

It will, but for these illustrations I'll ask the sprite artist to do them.
I am confident he'll do a great job. ( there a link on the Kick page for some of his illustrations).

androiddreamcast
dirty sailor

Post#54 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:18 pm

you should contact some PC game websites so they can give you game more coverage and get the KS backed , the demo is very hard thought I can't even complete but its a good challenge but some people might complain about the difficultly though

shadowgangs
Doom

Post#55 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:20 am

androiddreamcast wrote:the demo is very hard thought I can't even complete but its a good challenge but some people might complain about the difficultly though

I think I made the easy mode as easy as possible now.

In the current form, it should be possible to finish the demo but only after being familiar with the enemies movements and getting used to controlling the player.

It's still hard because now there is need for the ninja form and assault rifle to clear the enemies easier and faster.
As the assault rifle go through ninja defences, and being hit as a ninja you get back to normal form instead of dying.

Also, missing is the special weapons and ninja magic that would help greatly.

And also AI and gameplay tweaks and fixes that will come up with even more extensive playing and testing.

For example, I just looked at the red ninja ground roll attack, and sometimes it will unfairly kill the player.
The solution will be to slow down the roll speed to give fair time for the player to crouch melee attack the ninja.

This sort of tweaks.

The demo is not representative of the final product, it should be taken as an alpha build of sorts.

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#56 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:31 am

Awesome stuff, really cool. If I cannot make the kickstarter, will there be plans for purchase after the kickstarter? There's a few homebrews I'm buying all at once after I have the funds to do so
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

shadowgangs
Doom

Post#57 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:20 pm

DR TEAMCAST wrote:Awesome stuff, really cool. If I cannot make the kickstarter, will there be plans for purchase after the kickstarter? There's a few homebrews I'm buying all at once after I have the funds to do so

Yes, there will be if the Kickstarter is successful.

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#58 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:41 pm

androiddreamcast wrote:you should contact some PC game websites so they can give you game more coverage and get the KS backed , the demo is very hard thought I can't even complete but its a good challenge but some people might complain about the difficultly though

I agree. I think this game would get both more attention and potential backers if pushed towards the PC side. It's just so much larger of a market.

shadowgangs
Doom

Post#59 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:22 pm

DCGX wrote:I agree. I think this game would get both more attention and potential backers if pushed towards the PC side. It's just so much larger of a market.

I sent some emails to some big PC websites, but they didn't talk about the game.
Apart from Siliconera which did, I think because the editor liked the game (Joel Couture).

Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG

Post#60 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:35 am

And usually it makes sense to contact youtubers like gamester81 etc-https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gamester81