Xbox 360 Power Supply (AKA 'The Brick')

Talk about Xbox Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Neohound
Gold Lion

Xbox 360 Power Supply (AKA 'The Brick')

Post#1 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:05 am

My son's 360 Brick has died a death. It has the red light glowing which warns of a major fault. My uncle says he can't fix it so I need to replace it. I need to do it quickly but the only ones I can find with the same model number are located in China so no chance of getting them before Christmas :(

My question is: Can I buy any 360 power supply or are there specific ones for each model xbox ? The brick in question states it is 203 watts. Do all xboxes have the same connections etc ?

I've seen some bricks advertised on Ebay that are said to work on all pre-slimline models but on closer inspection say they are rated at 150 or 175 watts - presumably these wouldn't be suitable ?

Please somebody help as I need to sort this out ASAP.

madmax2069
drunken sailor

Re: Xbox 360 Power Supply (AKA 'The Brick')

Post#2 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:17 pm

Neohound wrote:My son's 360 Brick has died a death. It has the red light glowing which warns of a major fault. My uncle says he can't fix it so I need to replace it. I need to do it quickly but the only ones I can find with the same model number are located in China so no chance of getting them before Christmas :(

My question is: Can I buy any 360 power supply or are there specific ones for each model xbox ? The brick in question states it is 203 watts. Do all xboxes have the same connections etc ?

I've seen some bricks advertised on Ebay that are said to work on all pre-slimline models but on closer inspection say they are rated at 150 or 175 watts - presumably these wouldn't be suitable ?

Please somebody help as I need to sort this out ASAP.

No You can not use a newer Brick with a older system, but you can use a older brick with a newer system. the reason being is the keyed connector on how they designed it, plus the power requirements of the older systems is much higher. what model of 360 do you own ?.

look on the back of the 360 there is a sticker, on that sticker shows the 12V rating, 16.5A is Zephyr, 15.4A (I think) is Falcon, and Jasper is 12.1A.

you need to know that so you can find a power brick

elmagicochrisg
Metallic

Post#3 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:28 pm

Now's a good time to replace it with a slim. Forget about the other one. One of these days it's gonna ROD anyway...
Come, bow before your King!... Bow ya shits!...

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new and sealed)

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#4 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:08 pm

elmagicochrisg wrote:Now's a good time to replace it with a slim. Forget about the other one. One of these days it's gonna ROD anyway...

Well, yes you've got a point there. In fact I did that when my old one died a couple of months ago, it's just that I can't really afford to do that again at present.

madmax, thanks for replying. I did what you advised, it says 12v 16.5a on the back. Er....what do I do now ?

btw, the model number on the 'brick' is HP-AW205EF3P but as I said the only ones bearing that number on Ebay come from China so I'm looking for a european alternative.
Last edited by Neohound on Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madmax2069
drunken sailor

Post#5 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:12 pm

elmagicochrisg wrote:Now's a good time to replace it with a slim. Forget about the other one. One of these days it's gonna ROD anyway...

oh come on really, ever thought that he might not have the budget to buy a new system ?,

That might be so but its depending on the model, My jasper has yet to show. So far (other then from faked video) the jasper hasn't RRoD yet from its own accord. Im not saying that they haven't RRoD, but if any has its been from the user putting it into a case with no ventilation causing the system to overheat, and turning if off from a heavy gaming session (known as thermal runaway).

a few tricks can be used (without ruining a warranty) to prevent the RRoD.

If he has a Jasper then there is NO need to buy a slim. Its been known that early models of the jasper came with the older PSU. normally its the Xenon or Zephyr that has the 203w PSU but i have seen a few jaspers with the older more powerful power brick (and that was bought new like that), and some came with the falcon's 175w PSU, and some came with its own 150w PSU. It was a mixed bag of chips when the Jasper first came out, but as time went on you only found the Jaspers own 150w PSU when you bought one new.

Neohound wrote:Well, yes you've got a point there. In fact I did that when my old one died a couple of months ago, it's just that I can't really afford to do that again at present.

madmax, thanks for replying. I did what you advised, it says 12v 16.5a on the back. Er....what do I do now ?

that's either a Xenon or Zephyr. go to google and type in Xenon 360 power brick. The Xenon power brick (maybe even the newer Zephyr, it had the same power rating) is the only one ( i know with 100% certainty) compatible with all phat 360s.
Last edited by madmax2069 on Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:16 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#6 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:19 pm

Sorry, I was editing my post to include the model number when you posted...........

So, what to do now ?

madmax2069
drunken sailor

Post#7 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:22 pm

Neohound wrote:Sorry, I was editing my post to include the model number when you posted...........

So, what to do now ?

look at my edited post

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#8 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:37 pm

Thanks a lot :)

elmagicochrisg
Metallic

Post#9 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:30 am

madmax2069 wrote:oh come on really, ever thought that he might not have the budget to buy a new system ?

Yeah, real smart of you to say that after he just said it... :roll:

I was actually trying to do him a favour since most non-slim models seem to ROD at one point or another, making every cent still spent on them eventually a waste of money. Doesn't even matter if you agree with me or not. That's just the thought that was behind my post...

I don't even have one myself for the moment. I'm waiting for a cheap secondhand one to pop up somewhere. Meanwhile I have my Dreamcast, SNES and a whole other array of retro consoles to keep me busy...
Come, bow before your King!... Bow ya shits!...

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new and sealed)

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#10 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:10 pm

I can see both your points of view. If I had the money right now then I would've gone for a new 'slim'. As it is though I've got a thousand pound electric/gas bill to pay so I'm trying to be a bit frugal atm.

Anyway thought I'd tell you how I got on. I searched all over and only found one auction that specified the right model. I bid on it and won :) Paid £18 inc p&p

Hopefully there's no rrod on the horizon........