Talk about Sega's other Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star Online
Quake 3 Arena

Re: Saturn Collection pics

Post by DCUltrapro »

yep! You won't catch any of my ones on ebay anytime soon! All of mine are legit and in pretty good condition.

Does anyone know 100% if the action replay cartridge works as a region free device? So if I use it can I then play NTSC-J and NTSC games? I'd be interested to hear some suggestions for imports, however I'm fairly sure they will be well out of my price range by now lol
Guild Card: Odin #13044
Ultrapro; Oldskooling since 1990. Long Live DREAMCAST!!
Check out my Twitch channel!https://www.twitch.tv/ultrapro_dc
mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO: anything with mayu in its name = me

Post by mazonemayu »

wel, I know where to get a copy of enemy zero, but for now I find the asking price too expensive;
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here
DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol
Quake 3 Arena

Post by DCUltrapro »

fair do's, I was lucky to get Panzer Dragoon for Xmas in 1998 so I think it was probably about 30 or 40 quid brand new. My copy has seen better days, its so hard getting the 2 hard plastic cases into the cardboard box without ruckin up the plastic or tearing the cardboard... but I absolutely love that game, probably still my fave all time game.

I'm definitely tempted to play some Saturn again soon, does anyone have like a top "Must buy Saturn Games" list or something?
Macabre
Feet of Fury
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO, little quake, doom is cute.

Post by Macabre »

DCUltrapro wrote:yep! You won't catch any of my ones on ebay anytime soon! All of mine are legit and in pretty good condition.

Does anyone know 100% if the action replay cartridge works as a region free device? So if I use it can I then play NTSC-J and NTSC games? I'd be interested to hear some suggestions for imports, however I'm fairly sure they will be well out of my price range by now lol
You want the action replay 4-in-1, they do the reigon free goodness. There are a few types out, with more recent ones being a cheap Chinese knockoff. The cart is supposed to have a cheat code selection menu, and the knockoffs codes do not work most of the time.

That is a very nice collection. Do look out on some specific titles, as different reigons recieved a much better version. For example, the only "good" doom on Saturn is the delayed release in Japan, as the us and pal reigon were both rushed to market. Also the Daytona USA circuit edition from Japan is simply the best version out of he many releases versions.
PSO Dreamcast BBA ftw @ Dreamcast-Talk.com
~ Macabre! Redria HUcast
~ Lust Purplenum RAcaseal
~Sega Trade List!~
vid's coming soon~
Macabre
Feet of Fury

Post by Macabre »

Eerr double post. I really wish we had a credit/rep system on this forum. Your Darius warrants you a +5.

I can make a few suggestions. My personal saturn collection I've fought and struggled to revise and reduce to below 30 games (its my personal favorite system, I had over 115 at one time).

Baku Baku is an amazingly fun game, and probably one of the few multiplayer saturn games that is still playable today (your friends wont want to find a new game to play after the first round). Its like mean bean machine for the sega saturn.

You need Saturn Bomberman... Even if you are only partial to that game series, the saturn version is absolutely the best out of the entire lot (IMO better than the gamecube games, its the best story line and gameplay, and up to 10 player on one screen, there are many secrets to this game, and ways to alter the multiplayer maps to different times of day that affects whats on the map).

Gungriffion is an OK game, but Gungriffon 2 is an exceptional game! The graphics do show their age, but that game is packed to the brim with excellent material. This game was one of the first non-racing games that had a replay feature, and also supports the saturn system-link cable so you can do 1v1, AND 2v2. Very impressive how much material was programed on one single saturn disc!

If you still have a crt tv, try House of the Dead. If not, then don't waste the excessive amounts people want for it (US version is ridiculous). The game is only really OK for the series, but its great to know where it all started. When compared to the actual arcade unit, it does pale, but as far as I know, it has NEVER been ported elsewhere (house of the dead 3 on xbox1 has hotd2 unlockable, there is hotd3+2 on wii, but never #1!)

In The Hunt is actually one of my top 5 favorite shooters on the Saturn. It, much like its px1 version, has slowdown issues when the screen fills. But its a very different sort of shoot-em-up. The sub moves slow, and your limited at times to just the bottom of the screen. But it looks like Metal Slug underwater, and is an excellent experience!

I can't tell what the game is before Sonic Jam, is it Shinobi Legions? If not, you need this game. The cutscenes + the amazing gameplay (seemingly perfected from the genesis cartridge series + the original on the nes/master system) = the best shinobi game to date (the ps2 version is...good...but don't get me started on difficulty).

And Virtua On is defiantly a worthy purchase. The graphics look poor compared to VOOT on the dc, and almost unbearable if you've played the Marz one on ps2 (still good, just not as good as VOOT), but very fun to see where it started :)

Now...i could list off a set of good shoot'em'up's that are mostly Japanese origin, but there are so many of these lists online that it just seems pointless and redundant.

You did say NO to radiant, I actually don't like that game. It got smacked with the hype-bat pretty early when resurfaced saturn shmups were becoming popular, and it hasn't come back down.

IMO the best shmup on the saturn is battle garegga, but its damn pricey. I spent four months saving up the get the special edition just for an extra tiny booklet and dvd. I'd actually suggest looking into modding your system to play burnt games before purchasing this.

A close second would be Metal Black, a very affordable and unique shooter with a very impressive weapon gimmick.

I would normally suggest the strikers 1945 series (1 & 2 are on saturn from japan), but if your using pal format then its safe to assume you have access to the strikers 1945 1 + 2 re release on the ps2 (much more affordable).

Gunbird is the same story (1 is on the saturn, 2 is on the dreamcast, but only the pal region gamers get a ps2 remake that has both).
~ Macabre! Redria HUcast
~Sega Trade List!~
vid's coming soon~
DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol
Quake 3 Arena

Post by DCUltrapro »

wow dude you really are a Saturn nut aint ya lol, nice tips, the game that you couldn't make out was Skeleton Warriors, not a bad little game but certainly not a classic lol. i'm pretty sure that is the action replay that I have already but I've never got any imports in for it, might have to look at some of the ones you mentioned, at the moment though I'm picking up a bunch of stuff for my Jaguar lol, I may pick up Gun Griffon 2 though, is the gameplay good in that?
Macabre
Feet of Fury

Post by Macabre »

If you like mech games, its extremely good.
~ Macabre! Redria HUcast
~Sega Trade List!~
vid's coming soon~
DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol
Quake 3 Arena

Post by DCUltrapro »

cool, is it only available in NTSC JAP region then I assume? If so, is it easy to play in japanese?
Macabre
Feet of Fury

Post by Macabre »

Yea its japanese only. It's very easy to figure out, iirc most of it is in English.

The sad thing is this was sega's foot-in-the-door to Mech game paradise had they pushed it out of japan. Games like armored core were still being figured out while this gem had already vastly improved the original.

One of the ps2 launch titles was gungriffon blaze, which would have been perfect for the dreamcast. There is even a gungriffon on the original xbox - its graphics are not as good as they should have been, but again it seems like a series that sega 'should have' called complete done on.
~ Macabre! Redria HUcast
~Sega Trade List!~
vid's coming soon~
DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol
Quake 3 Arena

Post by DCUltrapro »

hmm... tempting to see what its like, I read reviews so far and the consensus is similar to what your saying, that, at the time, it was better than the armored cores and mech warriors of the time. I may have to invest