Teenage mutant ninja turtles: the return of shredder

Talk about Sega's other Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Gionzn
shadow

Teenage mutant ninja turtles: the return of shredder

Post#1 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:57 pm

So, I own this game and apparently it's a pretty rare one. But the thing is, since as far as i know this is simply the japanese title for the hyperstone heist, I was wondering why my copy is in the shape of a Pal cartridge as oppose to a traditional japanese one. I looked it up in ebay and mine seems the only one like that. I mean if you search mega drive the Return of shredder (not hyperstone heist) the game pops up and all of the photographs of the game consist in the box and the artwork identical to mine but have different cartridge. Do you guys have any idea why? Am i missing something here? Were there japan games with the cartridge like pal/american version? This can't possibly be the american one since if that was the case it would have the different name and artwork while mine says "Return of shredder" right onto the cartridge. I don't know any specific forum where to ask this stuff so I'm trying here. Hope someone is able to help me figure this out.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Re: Teenage mutant ninja turtles: the return of shredder

Post#2 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:55 pm

Have you opened the cartridge to make sure that the circuit board was genuinely made by Sega? The mismatched region and cart shape could be explained if it's a bootleg, and checking the board would let you easily verify if that's the case.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

Gionzn
shadow

Post#3 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:17 am

Aleron Ives wrote:Have you opened the cartridge to make sure that the circuit board was genuinely made by Sega? The mismatched region and cart shape could be explained if it's a bootleg, and checking the board would let you easily verify if that's the case.

I am waiting for game bits that i ordered on ebay, as soon as they come I will try that. Will I find "sega" written on the board? I've never opened a cartridge before. If this turns out to be a bootleg it will be kinda strange since i vaguely remember receiving the game for christmas back in the day and as much as I know it was regoularly bought from a normal game store. I guess it's possible though. Thanks for the advice

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#4 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:40 pm

It's highly probable that you'll find the SEGA logo printed on the board in the font used at the start of most Genesis games.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

Gionzn
shadow

Post#5 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:31 pm

So I was able to open it (I noticed just now it had no screws whatsoever) and apparently you are right! no sega logo anywhere just a little hadesive with a price sticked to a black round thing in the middle. So you are telling me the only game I own which is worth a damn it's a mere copy? lol

I wonder if others have experienced this as well, that's crazy

Gionzn
shadow

Post#6 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:20 pm

Wait is it possible that this game was imported by someone from Japan and to make it fit on mega drives and genesis's they change the case thing?

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#7 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:46 pm

If you take pictures of both sides of the circuit board and the shell, it might be easier for us to tell if it's a fake. The fact that it doesn't say SEGA on the board isn't a good sign, IMO...
"Fear the HUnewearl."

Gionzn
shadow

Post#8 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:40 am

Here's a few photos I just took:
Attachments
WP_20150715_10_11_00_Pro.jpg
WP_20150715_10_10_52_Pro.jpg
WP_20150715_10_10_20_Pro.jpg
WP_20150715_10_10_11_Pro.jpg
WP_20150715_10_09_42_Pro.jpg

krssn
Metallic

Post#9 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:04 pm

Definitely a fake I'm afraid...

Gionzn
shadow

Post#10 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:12 pm

krssn wrote:Definitely a fake I'm afraid...

sucks. Well i've never seen a copy of a cartrdige game before so I guss it's still kind of cool. I thought these things only occured with stuff like made up games or copies from others platforms like mario on sega or something. Never thought about actual first party title copied into vergin cartridges. Also i could have never realized this if it wasn't for the mismatched shape. Anyways, thanks for the help

Return to “Sega Other”