Sega Genesis! Rebuilding a legendary collection from scratch!

Talk about Sega's other Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

FinedrivE
dirty sailor

Sega Genesis! Rebuilding a legendary collection from scratch!

Post#1 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:04 pm

I have the Original Genesis 2 that I got for christmas of 1994 as well as
Genesis 1
Sega CD 2
32x

two Six Button Controllers (REV2)
One 3 Button (red lettering)
One High Frequency 3 Button Turbo
The MEGA MOUSE !

Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Ecco The Dolphin (missing Book)
Jurassic Park
Judge Dredd
Ms Pac man
Lotus II
Fatal Fury 2
King of the Monsters 2
Samauri Shodown
World Heroes
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (Cart only)
Liberty Or Death (no map)
Nobunaga's Ambition
Operation Europe
World Series Baseball
Road Rash II (Missing book)
Pirates! Gold (cart only)
Task Force Harrer EX (cart only)
Legends of Boxing (cart only)
Thunder Force (cart only)
Shinobi 3 (cart only)
Sonic Spinball
6-Pak
Star Trek The Next Generation: Echoes From The Past

Doom 32x

Sewer Shark SCD
Dragon's Lair SCD
Last edited by FinedrivE on Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Currently sucking at: The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Road Rash II and Pirates! Gold

Searching for EGG, SFA3, and ANY GENESIS/CD/32X games.

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Re: Sega Genesis! Rebuilding a legendary collection scratch!

Post#2 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:09 pm

You got me inspired.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post#3 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:53 pm

That's not a bad collection. I'd suggest Space Harrier for the 32X, it's a really good port, and the only other non-emulation one close to the arcade is for the Saturn, and it's crazy expensive.

FinedrivE
dirty sailor

Post#4 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:07 pm

I had Space Harrier before the collection got nabbed. It along with After Burner and Star Wars Arcade were the only reason the own a 32X. I just picked up Doom to test it. The SNES version is better that the 32X version.

I'm looking for Ranger X and Vectorman 1 & 2 right now but I've found a good deal on MK 1,2and 3 complete from a guy here local.
Currently sucking at: The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Road Rash II and Pirates! Gold

Searching for EGG, SFA3, and ANY GENESIS/CD/32X games.

dark
Shark Patrol

Re: Sega Genesis! Rebuilding a legendary collection from scratch!

Post#5 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:53 pm

I got a 32x in the last couple of months. Very underrated system as far as my tastes. I've grabbed about 8 games for it, some favorites are Virtua Racing, Blackthorne, Virtua Fighter and Shadow Squadron.

Also picked up a few genesis titles, Puggsy and Sonic 1 2 and Knuckles. Still need to find Sonic 3 for a good price - trying to get things CIB (but not mint) when I can to help artificially slow down the purchasing, save money, and give me time to play and enjoy each game for what it is, rather than buying 20 games in quick succession and spending 15 minutes with each one before calling it a day.

Over the past few months, I've almost beaten Puggsy, Blackthorne and sonic 2 the good old fashioned way (no codes, no save states, no walkthroughs)

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post#6 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:23 pm

Yeah, the problem with Sonic 3 is that it was (at least mostly) released in paper boxes, and those got tossed a lot more than the clamshell ones. I know I tossed my box about 20 years ago.

I really like the 32X but it's finicky, to get it to work with the Model 1, you need the special cable add-on that usually got tossed, for the Model 2, you need the spacer or to be very, very careful. I'm not super upset with buying the spacer (eventually), but that's only because I got a "Saga Genesis with adapter" for 25 bucks.

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Post#7 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:00 pm

lastcallgames wrote:Yeah, the problem with Sonic 3 is that it was (at least mostly) released in paper boxes, and those got tossed a lot more than the clamshell ones. I know I tossed my box about 20 years ago.

I don't know if I should believe this urban legend, but I heard that the Majesco/Mega Hits variant of Sonic 3 that bears the Acclaim logo on the backside of the cart gets really glitchy if you have it locked on to Sonic and Knuckles. It doesn't happen until the second half of the game. Side effects were corrupted/nuked save data, random graphical glitches and crashes which may relate to the save data glitch, and the lock-on soft lock happening more often than usual which would lock up the controller input and then reboots into Sonic and Knuckles. Can anyone confirm this?
lastcallgames wrote:I really like the 32X but it's finicky, to get it to work with the Model 1, you need the special cable add-on that usually got tossed, for the Model 2, you need the spacer or to be very, very careful. I'm not super upset with buying the spacer (eventually), but that's only because I got a "Saga Genesis with adapter" for 25 bucks.

I loved my 32X, and I'm going through the same struggle as you. I have to keep on switching consoles everytime I want to play a 32X game as I usually use it as a video co-processor for the Model 2's bad video output if I ever feel to lazy to go down with my Model 1. I also use my 32X without the spacer. It isn't recommended that you do without, but I wouldn't put it top priority if you have a Model 1. I have caught my eye on a 32X Patch Cables with 3.5mm phono breakout for my Model 1 with a female Mini DIN port rather than a male so I can get Stereo out of my Model 1 and so I can just leave my pass through cable in the av in port of my 32X as long as I don't lose it since it's fairly easy to find one 3rd party.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/gam ... ereo-sound
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:54 pm

Here's a few titles I'd like to pickup over time.

-socket (cool music and graphics)
-strider (badass character and gameplay)
-comix zone (top quality beatemup for genesis)
-streets of rage 2 (another top quality beatemup with amazing music)
-Flashback (another top quality game, billed as a "cd game on a cartridge," smooth animation)
-Road Blasters (great arcade translation of a classic game)
-outrun 2019 (cool concept and decent racer for the era)

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post#9 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:20 am

scaryred24 wrote:I don't know if I should believe this urban legend, but I heard that the Majesco/Mega Hits variant of Sonic 3 that bears the Acclaim logo on the backside of the cart gets really glitchy if you have it locked on to Sonic and Knuckles. It doesn't happen until the second half of the game. Side effects were corrupted/nuked save data, random graphical glitches and crashes which may relate to the save data glitch, and the lock-on soft lock happening more often than usual which would lock up the controller input and then reboots into Sonic and Knuckles. Can anyone confirm this?

I loved my 32X, and I'm going through the same struggle as you. I have to keep on switching consoles everytime I want to play a 32X game as I usually use it as a video co-processor for the Model 2's bad video output if I ever feel to lazy to go down with my Model 1. I also use my 32X without the spacer. It isn't recommended that you do without, but I wouldn't put it top priority if you have a Model 1. I have caught my eye on a 32X Patch Cables with 3.5mm phono breakout for my Model 1 with a female Mini DIN port rather than a male so I can get Stereo out of my Model 1 and so I can just leave my pass through cable in the av in port of my 32X as long as I don't lose it since it's fairly easy to find one 3rd party.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/gam ... ereo-sound

I don't know about the Sonic 3 thing. My copy is a Mega Hits one, but I don't know if it has the Acclaim logo on the back. I've never had an issue with plugging it into S&K, one thing I CAN confirm is that if you put in a non-Sonic game with battery backup (like, say, NHL 95 because your 7 year old brain thinks it would be awesome to play NHL 95 with Knuckles (which it would be, by the way)), it'll nuke the battery save on the cart you put in.

I've seen those cables (I think I learned about them from a Youtube video), but they're not a priority, since my Model 1 is really just for fitting in with a super retro aesthetic more than playing a ton. Plus I have a Model 2 Sega CD without that add-on's spacer thing, and if I want to put all those together, it'll look dumb on my Model 1. And those spacers are costly.

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#10 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:21 am

if you put in a non-Sonic game with battery backup (like, say, NHL 95 because your 7 year old brain thinks it would be awesome to play NHL 95 with Knuckles (which it would be, by the way))

Had the same thought with Mortal Kombat 2 as an 8/9 yr old. :)