Rare DC controller variant?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Rare DC controller variant?

Post#1 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:37 am

Ran into something on an auction site that peaked my interest and thought I'd ask the experts on this site if they know anything about it. :P

DC-cont1.jpg
DC-cont2.jpg
DC-cont3.jpg

At first glance it seems one of those japanese clear controllers or the one that comes with the Seaman console:
Controller_DC_JP_Clear.jpg

But those have the usual Dreamcast logo on the top, as well as the usual grey cable. While this has clear cable, as well as a different logo on the top. And while it's too blurry to see, it's definitely not the Divers 2000 logo.

I can't seem to find any lead on it, it's not listed on the SegaRetro site among the controller variants: http://segaretro.org/Dreamcast_Controller

As with the 3rd party VMU tho, I'm sure someone here has one of these in their collection. :)

DCGX
Vagabond

Re: Rare DC controller variant?

Post#2 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:49 am

I can't make out the logo in your pics. Maybe some random company bought a skid of clear DC controllers, switched out the cords and logo, and tried to sell them somewhere SEGA wouldn't get after them. Just a theory.

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#3 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:23 pm

Looks to be one of these guys:
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#4 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:44 pm

SEGA RPG FAN wrote:Looks to be one of these guys:

Yep, that seems like the one. Mystery solved.

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#5 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:51 pm

It looks good. I like the clear cable and all.

Xerxes3rd
fire

Post#6 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:35 am

Nice find! I love seeing these more obscure controller variants. It's definitely a 3rd-party PCB design, as Sega didn't use the black epoxy blobs on their Maple interface ICs (unlike this one, which you can see just under the B button). Does it feel/play similarly to a Sega-brand controller?

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#7 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:37 pm

Apparently there was a version with a red/orange logo too.

s-l1600.jpg

Xerxes3rd wrote:Nice find! I love seeing these more obscure controller variants. It's definitely a 3rd-party PCB design, as Sega didn't use the black epoxy blobs on their Maple interface ICs (unlike this one, which you can see just under the B button). Does it feel/play similarly to a Sega-brand controller?

If that question was for me, I can't answer that since I don't own it, it's up for auction. I'll try to get it, but it seems like others want it as well. Based on experience with 3rd party Dreamcast controllers I had so far, I doubt it reaches the quality of the 1st party controller. They always managed to screw up something, either the triggers, the analog stick or the Dpad.

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#8 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:07 am

Well, unfortunately I managed to win the auction for this controller and received it today. And by using the word "unfortunately", I think you can tell I'm not too thrilled with it..at all. But hey, look on the bright side: you can extend your "controllers to avoid" list with a new entry.

Where to begin...I guess with the obvious:
GS-front.jpg

That analog stick behaviour is not exactly what you want to see on any controller. Turns out whoever made this controller ditched SEGA's simple but effective analog stick mechanic to this lovely thing:
GS-PCB_top.jpg
GS-analog_top.jpg

Which might have worked when it was brand new, but it sure as hell ain't working now. Diagonals are pretty much guaranteed to make it get stuck, but sometimes a simple Up or Down position does the job too. Naturally, because its design, it can't be swapped to an official SEGA-made analog stick either.

For some reason, it can also be pushed in as well, but I don't feel a button is being pressed when doing so:
GS-analog_side.jpg

Also, even the analog stick cap isn't compatible with an official one:
GS-analog_stick.jpg

The hole size is different, and the whole thing is just thinner.

On the back, where the model number should be, it's completely blank, which is always a "good" sign:
GS-back.jpg

The triggers are interesting:
GS-trigger.jpg

They look like they also get stuck, but actually they have a shorter travel distance than the official ones. Also, they feel more stiff.

The buttons and dpad are okay, tho they feel a bit spongy.

After examining it, I didn't actually plug it in and test it with a game, because 1: I think my Dreamcast is better off without it, and 2: does anyone need to know more after seeing that first picture?

So one might think it at least could be used as a replacement case for an official controller PCB..I guess it could, but I wouldn't recommend it. The reason? If you look closely, you can see cracks on that case..not just one, but there are at least 3 bigger cracks on it. Have you ever seen an official Dreamcast controller with cracks on the case? Because I have like 8 official controllers, some pretty beaten up, but none of them have cracks. I even hit one of them to my table once in a rage quit (not proud of it), but even that only resulted in a small scratch on the side of it. When I opened up this clear controller, one screw hole tab broke off, as well as the tab keeping the facebuttons membrane in place..and not because I was rough with the case at all. If I were to hit a controller with this case to anything, I'm sure the case would shatter to a million pieces..if your tight grip on it doesn't break it first that is..

So there is the "Gamestation" controller in detail. Some people love to call the official Dreamcast controller terrible, but after holding this thing in my hands..I can safely say it could have been much, much worse, and SEGA did a pretty good job.

gjb1985
drunken sailor

Post#9 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:14 am

are there any dreamcast controllers at all with a good d-pad?

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#10 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:47 am

gjb1985 wrote:are there any dreamcast controllers at all with a good d-pad?

Saturn controller through an adapter. I used to have the ASCII pads which I bought because I thought they would have good response, but they had the strangest D-pad. I didnt like it. Some people do, but it wasn't for me.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast