Programming languages for DC?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
DylonTheDog
noob

Programming languages for DC?

Post#1 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:16 am

What programming languages does Dreamcast support? I need to know what's the simplest and best way because I programme in html/javascript and I'm looking to learn another language if I have to so I can programme on the dreamcast. :)

DarkSynbios
DC-Talk Addict

Re: Programming languages for DC?

Post#2 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:38 am

As i far i know you can programming with C or C++

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#3 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:19 pm

C and C++ are directly supported. You can also use Objective C, but you don't have any of the frameworks that people usually use with Objective C.

In addition, you can add scripting support to your code with Lua, but the base of your code still needs to be in C/C++ (nobody's ported Lua Player or other similar things).

DylonTheDog
noob

Post#4 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:48 pm

so I need to learn C

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#5 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:05 am

Pretty much, yes.

JavaScript really won't be useful for anything on the Dreamcast, unfortunately (unless you want to make websites for the web browser with really old HTML and JS).

Return to “Lounge”