Pi Zero - Built into Dreamcast

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Re: Pi Zero - Built into Dreamcast

Post#11 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:21 pm

ideally you could take a karaoke unit and build a pi + hard drive for a gdrom emu in it :p :p
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Xiden
Developer

Post#12 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:06 pm

My suggestion tho could be complicated is to solider the phone wire internally to the modem. You would still have to drill but at least it would be internally drilled. I havent really looked inside the modem to know if there is even room to do this or not. Just a thought lol

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#13 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:31 am

Sega1Dream wrote:Neat idea. Yea, I didn't know about the smaller PSU. Would have made things easier if I had some more room. Thanks for the info.

Look's like this would be the perfect thing: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10444#p102005

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#14 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:54 pm

Would love if one day there would be a guide for this, the only thing i would be concerned with is how this would effect the air flow around the fan if it does at all. Amazing work!

XVO
undertow

Post#15 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:30 am

@Sega1Dream,

Sorry I didn't want to remove the dust from this topic, but I've got a few questions regarding your mod.
I was planning on doing almost the same thing as you, and today I finally found out that I wasn't the only one who had this in mind.

Now for the questions, how did you connect the wires from the 56k to the line simulator? Do you have any schematics drawn at that time, if so do you mind sharing them?

Cool project and I'm glad I'm not the first to this project ;)

Edit, when the parts arrive later this week like the Pico Psu, raspberry pi zero w, 56k usb modem and a 5v to 9v converter, I would love to document the process for you guys :D

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#16 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:56 pm

I think dreamcast live has the diagram to wire the lvi. I know it's out there some where.

Sega1Dream
Donated

Post#17 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:09 am

Hey XVO,

Sorry, I didn't really do a diagram with this, I just wired it off the Dreamcast power supply prongs. I think I used the 12v for the lvi, and the 5v to power the Pi w.

As for the phone wire, that was the one easy thing. I just drilled outside the case, and ran it to the modem. I wanted to be able to switch between the BBA and modem, if need be.

It was a fun little project, but I couldn't get the Pi w built in Wi-Fi to work with Dreampi software. So I had to also install a USB hub, for a new Wi-Fi adapter. I also added a Bluetooth adapter, so I could use a keyboard while using the Pi. This way I don't need to open the case, just to update or check the software running.

Have fun doing yours, and let us know how it turn out!

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#18 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:14 pm

Yes PLEASE document as many steps as you can with your project. I would love to see what you could do slightly different to this one or other solutions you could come up with.

Surprised I didn't see this thread sooner actually, but over the past 2 years I haven't been on this site as much. Been heavy into Battlefield modding and already published 2 mods working on my 3rd one lol.

EvilJimChicken
shadow

Post#19 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:10 pm

I REALLY like this. I'm a huge fan of making the dreamcast as compact as possible. I like the fact that you used the stock psu, that way you don't have to take a power brick with you everywhere.

I think i'm going to attempt this in my dreamcast that already has an internal hdd just to see if its possible in the future some time.

simbin
undertow

Post#20 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:34 am

I was wondering if others have attempted this recently. I just received my modem, and I'm ready to delve in. I'll be using a Pi 3, because I already have one. Any tips and suggestions are welcome.