DreamPSU - Dreamcast Replacement Power Supply

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42

Poll: Would you buy one?

Yes
89%
No
7%
Maybe
4%
Total votes: 27

Gumbo
lithium

DreamPSU - Dreamcast Replacement Power Supply

Post#1 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:42 pm

Hey Everyone,

EDIT:
This is now available on Indiegogo, if your interested the link is below, please feel free to share.
[url]https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/dreampsu-making-your-dreamcast-cool-again-power#/
[/url]

So almost a year ago, I noticed that my dreamcast power supply was producing a lot of heat, and then i got my GDEMU and it got worse, from what i understand, it was due to an unloaded 12v line, so instead of trying to find away of fixing the original dreamcast power supply, i designed a 12VDC, drop in power supply for the console. It has drastically reduced the heat generated and is a fraction of the size (see pictures below), so fast forward to a while ago and i was talking to a friend and i mentioned i made a replacement, i never intended for anyone other than me to see or use it, but my friend asked flat out if im selling them, it had never even crossed my mind, but since then i have looked around and i couldn't find anything similar (if you know otherwise, please do tell me), but what i did find was people using pico psus and bodging them to it to connect to the dreamcast, so i figured i would look into and see if anyone would be interested in purchasing my new Power Supply, which leads me to here.
I have been using the power supply for a fair while now with multiple revisions over time, and i haven't come across any issues.

Here is some info about the power supply and some questions if anyone would like to answer.

The power supply is 48mm x 42mm (subject to change based on this thread).
It has all three 3.3v, 5v and 12v power lines so should work with GDRom drives and GDRom emulation devices.
Pin headers for both 5v and 12v have been included in case you wanted to add a custom fan or such.
it will use an external DC jack mounted to the back of the console with the white thing in the pictures below.
It would require a 12v 2-3amp power supply (dependent on if you use the GDRom drive or an emulation device.)
At the moment i'm not looking to include a wall wart power supply because of country differences, shipping costs ect ect, so that would have to be sourced locally by the purchaser.

Some questions:
Would you be interested in purchasing one? at the moment the expected price is going to be about £25 ($30-ish)
How would you feel, if this was to go ahead, about it being a "crowd funded" project? i.e you pre-order, i get them manufactured and then ship them out, so there would be a delay of between 1-3 months dependent on manufacturing speed ect ect. For this to actually become a purchasable item, i would have to get at least 150 pre-orders for it to be a viable project / adventure.
Are there any suggestions about design or features you would like (not that is many you can add to a power supply.)

Many thanks for your time,
Chris.

PS. Sorry for the wall of text.
Attachments
DSC_0261.JPG
DSC_0260.JPG
DSC_0259.JPG
DSC_0258.JPG
DSC_0256.JPG
Last edited by Gumbo on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jjona5
noob

Re: Dreamcast Replacement Power Supply

Post#2 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:17 pm

I'd buy one

Burbank
noob

Post#3 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:23 pm

I would buy one.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#4 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:14 am

Wow, empty space in the DC!
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

popinadam
shadow

Post#5 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:35 am

Is it possible to use the original power connector?

Gumbo
lithium

Post#6 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:46 am

popinadam wrote:Is it possible to use the original power connector?

The original power connector is run at 110/240v, so unfortunatly that wont be possible with this, this would require an external 12v 2+ amp power brick, similiar to what would come with the slim ps2, a router or other such appliance. (see picture below)
Attachments
DSC_0254.JPG

mstar
Doom

Post#7 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:59 am

This looks pretty neat :) I think i'd buy one if i ever need a replacement PSU (or space in the DC)....

However - please forgive my ignorance - where is the difference between this PSU and a pico PSU?

Gumbo
lithium

Post#8 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:23 am

mstar wrote:This looks pretty neat :) I think i'd buy one if i ever need a replacement PSU (or space in the DC)....

However - please forgive my ignorance - where is the difference between this PSU and a pico PSU?

Ease of install is probably the biggest difference, This literal just slots into place of the old PSU, one screw to hold it firm and a power jack out the back.

RXShorty
photon blast

Post#9 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:40 am

I would buy one for my PAL Dreamcast.
Right now I am working with a resitor and would love to replace the PSU.
DreamOn!

kazade
Developer

Post#10 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:33 am

I'm interested! I have to ask, where did you find the molex connector?