Games that look great upscaled

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Games that look great upscaled

Post#1 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:56 am

We got a new 55" 4K TV at my work which surprisingly had a scart and VGA socket. There is also a Dreamcast at my work which used to be connected to a Toshiba HD TV. Until this point I had only ever played a Dreamcast on a CRT and still do at home (32" Sony Trinitron). When I connected the dreamcast to the first Toshiba HD TV I was a little dissapointed with the picture. It really highlight all the flaws and tears. Playing MSR was really hard to see the up coming corners. Fastforward 3 years and when we got the new TV I didnt even bother plugging in the DC as I thought it would of been really bad. It wasn't until I noticed someone else playing crazy taxi that I realised how amazing an upscaler can be. The TV obviously has a decent upscaler built in. It really smooths out the resolution. It looked like it was being played on a PS4.

What ive noticed is that not all games seem to benefit as much as eachother from an upscaler. Crazy taxi seems to be the best example so far that I have come across. What is everyone elses experience? Which games did you fine look amazing upscaled and which not?
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

DCGX
Vagabond

Re: Games that look great upscaled

Post#2 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:08 pm

Every Dreamcast game I've played on my Sony 4K via HDMI looks super sharp. But it should be noted: when I first bought my TV, I spent at least a week fine tuning the settings. Not just for games, for apps and cable too. I adjusted color, white balance, black levels, sharpness, motion options, you name it. It was only after all that, and minor tweaks over the following couple of weeks, that I was satisfied with how good everything looked being played and/or watched on my TV.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:42 pm

I don't understand everyone's desire for upscaling to theoretical high def , it's enhanced def no matter what

I just run VGA to my damn 24" flat-panel PC monitor .. boy I wished we'd kept our CRT PC monitors !

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#4 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:08 pm

mistamontiel wrote:I don't understand everyone's desire for upscaling to theoretical high def , it's enhanced def no matter what

I just run VGA to my damn 24" flat-panel PC monitor .. boy I wished we'd kept our CRT PC monitors !

I didn't understand either until I seen it. It makes a MASSIVE different. On games that upscale well it honestly looks amazing. Its hard to believe.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#5 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:44 pm

I plan on upgrading from a/v hook ups some day. Lol. I feel vga would be great.