New Dreamcast owner

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
SmugVulture
noob

New Dreamcast owner

Post#1 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:59 pm

I recently bought a Dreamcast from a local market in my town and wanted to know what game recommendations I should go for. I have been keeping my eye out for quake on the console but what version should I go for? Also I do enjoy isometric rpg's like those of fallout 1 and 2 as well as a recent title like wasteland 2. On another note what good cleaning agent is good for cleaning out hard as hell stains on a Dreamcast? I've got this huge stain right around the system logo from the previous owner. Finally what are some good online games for the Dreamcast as well as a set up guide ( hell I'm surprised it has online features still up and running today) that is all, hope to see some feedback to help.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Re: New Dreamcast owner

Post#2 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:34 pm

Welcome to DC-Talk! As far as online goes, I will assume you have a modem, not the BBA. If you have a Raspberry Pi all you need to do is get a USB modem for it along with building your own LVI (one or two 9V batteries depending on PAL or a NTSC Dreamcast region) and the DreamPi software (more info can be found at Dreamcast-Live.net which is PCwzrd13's page). Online games are also listed at that site, one of note is PBA Tour Bowling 2001 which was never released but leaked out last year so you can play an online game that no one played during the original run of the Dreamcast. There has also been download content revived by DreamPipe.net (really nice job restoring the old look of the Dreamacst online back in the day) and others (info found on Dreamcast-Live.net).

If you are interested in going online, you can buy things as you see fit for you Dreamcast like a complete "DreamPi" (PCwzrd13), or a DreamPi modem which is a USB modem with an integrated LVI (from TacT of Dreaqmcast-Talk or PCwzrd13), an LVI (PCwzrd13), etc.

I have a DreamPi Modem from TacT, it works flawless. Both members test and back the items they supply. 4x4, Pool, PSO and AFO are the easiest and best games to get online and play. Other games can be quirky, but with Quake 3, you may have to enter the server IP (info on Dreamcast-Talk/Servers). Also, be wary of bad connection performance as better connections like a BBA, PC, etc... can make for a long night.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs