Best version of Maken X?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
WingMantis
dark night

Best version of Maken X?

Post#1 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:40 pm

Hi everybody, need help deciding which version of Maken X to get. I searched but most of what I saw in the results was in collection / pickups post.

Were there any technical improvements between the JPN version to US or EU releases?

Such as reduced head bob, smoother frame rate, etc?

The IGN review said they didn't remember the JPN version draining life to do the special attacks.

From what I've found searching any translation projects fizzled out and I don't know Japanese.

What do you all think of Maken Shao on PS2?

Thank you! (although you are all probably online playing DC right now lol)

Padre
photon blast

Re: Best version of Maken X?

Post#2 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:28 am

I own both of them and have played both, but never beaten either. I played the American version maybe 7 years ago and probably stuck about 8 hours or so into it... I got the Japanese version earlier this year because I heard that it was more "rated R" ish... I've played it for about 3 or 4 hours and they're pretty much the same so far... there might have been a video about the differences on the Dreamcast Junkyard, or they were talking about it in a podcast, that's what made me decide to get the Japanese version. Both versions are incredibly smooth, I don't think either one has any technical improvements. I couldn't recommend one over the other, but when I get back to playing it I'll be playing the Japanese version.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#3 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:41 am

they removed the swastikas from the US/PAL version, that's about it. great game and pretty hard one too
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

segata sanshiro
Cracked LCD

Post#4 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:18 pm

Smoother framerate?

WingMantis
dark night

Post#5 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:53 pm

segata sanshiro wrote:Smoother framerate?

Some games get bugs worked out between regions. Just wondering if there was errata with Maken X. The US release was 5 months after Japan. Some of that time may have just been waffling on whether to release outside Japan. I believe SEGA ended up localizing the game instead of Atlus.

I picked up a JPN copy cheap, and I'll probably get a US version if I can get it cheap too.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:52 pm

I had read Maken NTSC-J is the most violent , so I got that one . Damn region lockout workarounds

Berserk is the one I need to know , does that have censorship ?

WingMantis
dark night

Post#7 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:52 pm

mistamontiel wrote:I had read Maken NTSC-J is the most violent , so I got that one . Damn region lockout workarounds

Berserk is the one I need to know , does that have censorship ?

I don't know. I think there was or is an undub project in the works.

The PS2 Berserk game got a translation. It's supposed to be similar the the Dynasty Warriors series, so a lot more combat.

mstar
Doom

Post#8 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:38 pm

I haven't picked up Maken X yet, does the NTSC-J version have english languague in it?

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#9 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:55 pm

Nope no multi language text and speech is all Japanese