Serial port speed read write benchmark

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
aldair
Metallic
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Quake 3 Arena

Re: Serial port speed read write benchmark

Post by aldair »

MoeFoh wrote:
grenert wrote:Well, these are the cards I've tried so far (also some Sandisk MicroSD cards not shown). No luck at all. All cards formatted FAT32, 32K and 64K clusters tried. Even tried full format (not quick). I get one of three errors:
No acknowledgement that an SD card is present.
SD card cannot be read.
SD is present but MBR cannot be read.
At this point, I've concluded either there is something about my particular DC that it will not use this SD reader, or that it is so picky about SD cards I'll have to spend a hundred bucks and many hours to find a compatible one. I'm glad my optical drive is still OK, and I have a good CD burner!
If your card reader is known to be good and if the serial port on the Dreamcast has been cleaned and if there have been no mods to the Dreamcast, then this rare issue could be the problem:

serial-1.png

serial-2.png

From the sd card reader designer: jj1odm
This Serial port problem, all Dreamcast will have it soon!
grenert
shadow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: I haven't played anything on line for years, but would be interested in racing and puzzle games

Post by grenert »

Thanks again, everyone for your advice. The port is clean and in good shape. The SD card adapter light goes on. So I think there is nothing wrong from a physical connection standpoint.

The serial port capacitor possibility is interesting. I opened up my DC, and it is a VA2.1 motherboard. The PCB layout around the serial port is very different than in the photos you've attached (C606 is actually on the other side of the board, for example). Could it be that the VA2.1 board doesn't work with the SD card adapter?
grenert
shadow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: I haven't played anything on line for years, but would be interested in racing and puzzle games

Post by grenert »

Well, after tearing apart my DC, I figured I might as well try removing those capacitors (assuming the ones with the same part designations are the same on my board). Still no luck.
For my own sanity (I could be playing games, not formatting SD cards and burning boot discs!), I am going to give up on this, and write it off as some incompatibility with the VA2.1 motherboard.
Thanks again for your suggestions.
Ian Micheal
Developer

Post by Ian Micheal »

grenert wrote:Well, after tearing apart my DC, I figured I might as well try removing those capacitors (assuming the ones with the same part designations are the same on my board). Still no luck.
For my own sanity (I could be playing games, not formatting SD cards and burning boot discs!), I am going to give up on this, and write it off as some incompatibility with the VA2.1 motherboard.
Thanks again for your suggestions.
Thanks for telling us what model
MoeFoh
Uber

Post by MoeFoh »

Weird! Did Sega do something with the serial port design / bios to inhibit the use of a coder cable or other external devices like the sd card reader on the VA2.1 system? They nixed ODE and mil-cd support - why wouldn't they go after the serial port, too?
grenert
shadow

Post by grenert »

MoeFoh wrote:They nixed ODE and mil-cd support
I should say that my VA2.1 Dreamcast will play burned CD-R just fine. But yeah, it's a bummer to also find out that ODE is not an option with this particular console.