Favorite Dreamcast racing games?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Ragfish
St.Jimmy
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO
Quake 3
Chu Chu Rocket
AFO
NBA 2K2
NFL 2K2
WSB 2K2
Internet Game Pack
Pool

Re: Favorite Dreamcast racing games?

Post by Ragfish »

Daytona USA is my favorite, I keep going back to it all the time even though I've pretty much beaten everything. It's probably one of my top 3 most played games on the console.

Engren
rebel

Post by Engren »

Looney Tunes Space Race is a great kart racing experience, despite it`s share of obvious problems (luck based power-ups, ridiculous AI, sluggish FPS on intense moments).

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post by deluxux »

4x4 Evolution. It might not be the most realistic but it's got alot more features than most of the racing games. This game allows for you to make custom tracks on PC and play them by downloading online, saves to the DC-ram not even taking up VMU blocks.
Cross platform with PC and Macintosh.
And it's 100% customizable if you have the skills.
Vehicles, Tracks, sound effects, music. It's a WinCE platform so you could make it anything you want.

beanboy
Wazza
Dreamcast Games you play Online: I haven't played any dreamcast games online yet.
But I'm planning to do so soon.

Post by beanboy »

There are so many on the dreamcast that I like, so this will be tough. I choose Test Drive Le Mans.

Absurd
undertow

Post by Absurd »

Surprised there's no love for either of the Speed Devil games. Whilst not the best graphically, the handling is easy to get to grips with and it moves at a grand old pace. Well worth a look.

louis012345678
Doom
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Yes

Post by louis012345678 »

In no particular order:
SEGA Rally 2
Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2
Metropolis Street Racer
I could list a lot more but if I had to pick just 3 it would be these :)

ShreddieMercury
undertow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: None at the moment.

Post by ShreddieMercury »

Grey Fox wrote:While there are tons of brilliant racing & driving games on Dreamcast probably either MSR or Vanishing Point for me.

MSR was just jaw dropping at the time & still graphically super impressive. Interesting twist on traditional racing too so was like a breath of fresh air. More so than that though - it has a distinct personality thanks to its music. Unlike most racers that used generic licenced music the soundtrack is a masterpiece of multi genre "tributes" by Richard Jacque.

Vanishing Point I adore. It is one of the most over-looked gems on the system. The handling is twitchy but in a good way. Once you adjust to it it is super responsive and allows you to slide round corners and between cars. It really does have a brilliant arcade style handling model. The Stunt Mode is super addictive with that "one more go" factor. Slick, rock solid visuals & a blistering frame rate. Decent range of vehicles & tracks. While it is more of a time trial that happens to have other vehicles on the tacks as it isn't about position but about time most nay-sayers are likely put off by the slow start (with some of the slower/duller vehicles), don't take time to adjust to the twitchy handling or get put off by the, admittedly, sometimes frustrating fact that sometimes when racing you can get clipped by another vehicle, spin out, lose time & have little chance to make up the time. However for my money it is no different to the BurnOut series in this regard. I love that you can have automatic gears but still have the ability to manually change the gears meaning you don't have the frustration of forgetting after a spin out etc but have the control to eke extra speed out when needed e.g. going uphill. Some of my favourite Dreamcast gaming moments are perfect lapping the night time track in the Lotus Elise, weaving in between vehicles, sliding the corners and always feeling on the precipice of losing control but always just keeping the vehicle going flat out teetering on total chaos. It's an amazing racing game that unfortunately puts up quite a barrier at the start but rewards those that stick with it.

Obviously other gamers mileage may vary though :-)
After this impassioned defense of Vanishing Point, I started playing it! This game definitely has something, but you are correct that it puts up quite the barrier, as the starter cars are slow and exceptionally difficult to handle. However, I'm starting to get to grips with the game's sensitivity and physics, and I can tell that this is an excellent game if a bit barebones in its presentation.

I unlocked the Audi TT which is way more fun, and I can see this game getting its hooks into me. Thanks so much for the recommendation.

MSR I also tried to get into, but despite how good it looks and the amazing music it seemed like it was going to be far too grindy for my tastes.

Gman
shadow

Post by Gman »

Anthony817 wrote: As far as rally racing goes, I have to toss my hat in with Test Drive V Rally 2. That game is such a blast and the handling is so different compared to Sega Rally 2. More realistic and it even has a full on track creator which is awesome.
V-Rally is super underrated, probably my number one favorite with the racing wheel! That and Tokyo Xtreme 2, although I will admit that one’s Xtremely flawed. I’ve yet to try Vanishing Point—if those two are my favorites, do you think it would be a new contender for me?