PSO The First Souls-like

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
PhiseJr
drunken sailor
Dreamcast Games you play Online: None. My dreamcast is inactive I need to buy a VGA :-(

PSO The First Souls-like

Post by PhiseJr »

Well except the the fact that "souls" had a multi use.

Anyone else feels like PSO might be the inspiration if not inspiration, It definitely had the same elements of a Souls-like. Before souls-likes became popular. With the exception of the difficulty being dialed up. PSO had some elements of what a souls-like became. Hear me out.

The combat is very timed based, no spamming, attacks and dodges was limited to walking out the way. Blocking in PSO was random so the game was heavily based on chance and timing. While souls-likes added the dodge mechanic to being active. the weapon upgrading isn't RNG like what seems to be the standard in most games these days, Dark souls also adopts that standard. The online play is limited to a small party play. minus the hub feature of PSO, Even the online play as far as I remember is limited to the hosts' progress. combat though limited in PSO imo, still has the same concept of basic attack, heavy attack and special weapon attack, and magic being accessible across all classes (that have MST in PSO)

Upon Death (DC Version) you dropped all your masetta and had to walk back to retrieve them similar to Souls-likes.

After each run through/region you have a big boss at the end. to complete not really unique just a reach. Many classes of weapons to obtain and rare weapons. Again a reach that's no unique to PSO.

I was just thinking about it, because Dreamcast i felt push gaming further and never gets its flowers. Am I reaching or does anyone else see where I'm coming from ?
ドリームキャスト Dorīmukyasuto
Alextended
shadow

Re: PSO The First Souls-like

Post by Alextended »

No.
Holsten
fragger

Re: PSO The First Souls-like

Post by Holsten »

No indeed.
Holsten knallt am dollsten.