What Did You Get Your Dreamcast Recently?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Soulcast
lithium

Re: What Did You Get Your Dreamcast Recently?

Post#1081 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:16 pm

I just bought a copy of Phantasy Star Online. It came in the original jewel case and manual with a Sonic Adventure 2 Demo Disc.

I haven't played this game in over a decade and remembered not liking it. I figured I might as well give it a second chance. I better start making space on my VMU for 45 blocks.

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#1082 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:30 pm

RingOut wrote:I just bought a copy of Phantasy Star Online. It came in the original jewel case and manual with a Sonic Adventure 2 Demo Disc.

I haven't played this game in over a decade and remembered not liking it. I figured I might as well give it a second chance. I better start making space on my VMU for 45 blocks.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#1083 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:36 pm

PSOv2 does all v1 n then some yo 0.o

gjb1985
drunken sailor

Post#1084 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:42 pm

got zombie revenge and ducati world

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#1085 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:34 am

Sonic Shuffle and Test Drive LeMans. Both sealed. $16 and $4 respectively.
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

Stewcumber
rebel

Post#1086 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:58 pm

CD AGES wrote:Sonic Shuffle and Test Drive LeMans. Both sealed. $16 and $4 respectively.

Test Drive LeMans is one of my favourite racing games, and my favourite on the system. The graphics in particular are fantastic. Enjoy!

I bought a keyboard for some reason, for £9 delivered. The only game I have that supports it is Worms World Party. And Planet Ring I suppose.

Garry Flitcroft
noob

Post#1087 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:20 am

Power Stone 2. It's one of my favorites. Such a great classic!
My wife calls me a pragmatic man. Well, I guess I'm one. It's because online gaming is pragmatic. Today I play at lord-of-the-ocean-spielen-com. It's the only place where everyone wins.

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#1088 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:21 pm

Stewcumber wrote:
CD AGES wrote:Sonic Shuffle and Test Drive LeMans. Both sealed. $16 and $4 respectively.

Test Drive LeMans is one of my favourite racing games, and my favourite on the system. The graphics in particular are fantastic. Enjoy!

I bought a keyboard for some reason, for £9 delivered. The only game I have that supports it is Worms World Party. And Planet Ring I suppose.

Time to get Typing of the Dead (if you can play imports).

nickolag
noob

Post#1089 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:09 pm

I bought a 4th VMU last week (brand new in box) and "won" a mint NTSC-J copy of Shenmue last night (9$ shipped, 4 discs + manual, registration card and insert!)

WingMantis
dark night

Post#1090 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:47 pm

PlazmaNitro wrote:I've also grabbed 2 of the "High Frequency" controllers. They are by FAR my favorite controllers for the console, at least in my limited experience. However, they seem fraught with problems. The first one was perfect except for an X button that just didn't work. The second one has even weirder issues. Some buttons don't work at all, and others activate all kinds of buttons they shouldn't be. I've been using a controller test ROM I burned to see what the buttons do. For example, when I press right on the dpad, nothing happens. But when I press left on the dpad, left, down, right, A, B, X, Y, *and* the right trigger all light up on the diagram onscreen. I have none of the technical knowledge to fix it, and it's very distressing as I think it's the most comfortable controller I'll get for the Dreamcast.

Would anybody know where I could go to either get help in repairing it, or who I could send it to, to have it fixed?

Edit: I came across some talk about problems with these controllers, even the 6 button Dream Pad. They apparently blow the controller port board's fuse a lot.

Hi, are they new or used? I doubt they are worth trying to repair. Round trip shipping and then labor etc you could just buy a brand new controller somewhere.

The Mad Catz High Frequency controllers were 4 button budget controllers made for Toys 'R US. Mad Catz also made the Dream Pad, which has the same shape, but has 6 buttons on the right. Z and C are digital versions of the triggers, so you aren't really getting any new buttons. But it's probably nicer for some games.

Not sure how much better quality they are, Segaretro mentions problems with triggers sticking.

Does anyone know if Dreamcast controllers use switches mounted to the circuit board, or just contacts with a conductor pad on the bottom of the button? Being budget I would guess contact pads.

Get a screw driver and take the shell off and clean all the contacts for the buttons and d-pad with 99% alcohol and a q-tip or get a can of electronics cleaner. Clean the pads on the bottom of the buttons or the rubber interface between buttons and board. and any other dirt or gunk you see.

Look for signs of wear compared to the contacts that work. If you see some, you could try rotating the contact pads so the worn spots are mated with thicker pads or contacts.

Put it back together and test again.

Let us know how it goes!