Rechargeable VMU Batteries!

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Rechargeable VMU Batteries!

Post#1 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:41 pm

Not sure if anyone knew this already or not but I just found out you can get rechargeable batteries for your VMU! They're called LIR2032 (Lithium Ion Rechargeable) batteries (as opposed to the regular CR2032). There are a ton of them on eBay for really cheap with a charger.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... kw=lir2032

I will definitely be buying some for myself. I never play the games on the VMU because I would have to keep buying batteries. Now I can finally try them out! :D
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Family Dog
Anarki

Re: Rechargeable VMU Batteries!

Post#2 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:12 pm

These look interesting, let us know what the battery life is like with them. I currently have the 4 x AA battery pack mod on a vmu but its hardly portable, this would be a good solution.

If your looking for a good game the skies of arcadia and soul calibur mini games are pretty fun :D .
@guacasaurus_mex

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#3 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:15 pm

Sure thing. I did hear that they don't last as long as the regular batteries but I really can't compare since I never really sat down and played with the VMU for any significant length of time.
PSO Characters:

madmax2069
drunken sailor

Post#4 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:16 pm

Seeing how a VMU loves to eat batteries This seems like a worthwile investment. But when dealing with rechargable lith ion batteries always take caution with them even more so then with a lithium primary (non rechargable). But even more caution when dealing with Cheap/no brand Lithium ion batteries and chargers (risk of fire). And if there is no low voltage cutoff you run the risk of damaging the cell. At least they are not as bad as lipo (lithium polymer) packs.
Last edited by madmax2069 on Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#5 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:19 pm

madmax2069 wrote:Seeing how a VMU loves to eat batteries This seems like a worthwile investment. But when dealing with rechargable lith ion batteries always take caution with them even more so then with a lithium primary (non rechargable). But even more caution when dealing with Cheap/no brand Lithium ion batteries and chargers (risk of fire).

Thanks for the warning. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any name-brand batteries of this kind. I guess I'll just have to risk it. :?
PSO Characters:

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#6 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:32 pm

Well, after some careful consideration I have come to the conclusion that it's probably not worth it. I can get 25 name brand (maxell or panasonic) or 100 no-name CR2032s on eBay for the same price. I'd have to play the VMU constantly for it to pay off. Oh well.

BTW, anyone know which brand is best (lasts the longest)?
PSO Characters:

madmax2069
drunken sailor

Post#7 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:50 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:
Thanks for the warning. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any name-brand batteries of this kind. I guess I'll just have to risk it. :?

Yeah, i wasnt trying to scare you into not buying Cheap/no name lithium ion batteries, chances are you wont have a issue with the if they or the charger isnt faulty, Just heed the words of caution. Being around the RC hobby made me learn to use caution around Lith ion and LiPO cells (most use LiPO in the car/aircraft/boat/what ever else some use Lith ion).

pcwzrd13 wrote:Well, after some careful consideration I have come to the conclusion that it's probably not worth it. SNIP

At around $11 free shipping for 2x cells and a charger i would say its worth a shot even if you can get many primaries for the same cost. I think $11 is worth the price just to test and see (depending on your budget). But granted my VMU hardly sees the outside of my controller (only when i want to replace the batteries or to play a VMU game).

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:49 pm

I buy my CR2032 batteries at the local 99 cents only stores. you can get a non brand 4 pack for said price. mind you i don't use them for VMU purposes but i do use them for my Neo Geo Pocket and Sega Saturn console and they seem to be going strong :D
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

elmagicochrisg
Metallic

Post#9 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:03 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:Sure thing. I did hear that they don't last as long as the regular batteries but I really can't compare since I never really sat down and played with the VMU for any significant length of time.

They don't last as long as regular batteries.

So what you're really saying is a VMU will drain those rechargeable batteries in under 30 seconds.

Right?...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Come, bow before your King!... Bow ya shits!...

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new and sealed)

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#10 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:13 pm

elmagicochrisg wrote:So what you're really saying is a VMU will drain those rechargeable batteries in under 30 seconds.

Right?...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Probably :lol:
PSO Characters: