wireless dreamcast controller solution...howto

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Hunk_4TH
Anarki

Re: wireless dreamcast controller solution...howto

Post by Hunk_4TH »

Neohound wrote:Yes. Buy controller extension cables. They work well, allow you to continue using your official controller, you don't have to charge them, and they are much cheaper than going wireless ;)

Thanks man I appreciate the advice. I actually have one I think it might be going out I'll have to get a few more :D Just sucks that Total Control 2 turned out to be such a piece of shit I'll probably fiddle with it from time to time ha ha
Jetstor
shadow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star Online

Post by Jetstor »

Neohound wrote:Yes. Buy controller extension cables.

Agreed, I have two of them and that is what solves perfectly distance issues, wirefull speaking. But just like any other contemporary DC console has a wireless control, DC really deserved a good wireless solution too... ;)
yuki2012
shadow

Post by yuki2012 »

Hunk_4TH wrote:
Neohound wrote:Yes. Buy controller extension cables. They work well, allow you to continue using your official controller, you don't have to charge them, and they are much cheaper than going wireless ;)

Thanks man I appreciate the advice. I actually have one I think it might be going out I'll have to get a few more :D Just sucks that Total Control 2 turned out to be such a piece of shit I'll probably fiddle with it from time to time ha ha

controller extension cables really work? I should try this.Thanks
Neohound
Gold Lion

Post by Neohound »

Jetstor wrote:
Neohound wrote:But just like any other contemporary console has a wireless control, DC really deserved a good wireless solution too... ;)

Dreamcast.....contemporary ? But yes, I take your point, the DC does deserve one.
Jetstor
shadow

Post by Jetstor »

Neohound wrote:Dreamcast.....contemporary ? But yes, I take your point, the DC does deserve one.

Yes, sorry, I wasn't clear with that phrasing... I meant that just like any other console contemporary to DC (PS2, Cube, Xbox) had a wireless control, so deserved DC... ;)
Jetstor
shadow

Post by Jetstor »

yuki2012 wrote:controller extension cables really work? I should try this.Thanks

Sure, it's like Neohound said: they're cheap, allows you to keep your original controller, extends the length in about 1,80m ~ 70 inch and are very reliable. I have two of then ("Interact Performance" brand) for 10 years now in gaming conditions (meaning they've been twisted, folded and pulled in any non recommended way) and they have never failed.
musuko
Fancy Pants Admin

Post by musuko »

Something strange I found out and I have no idea why this works but it does.

Recently I decided I wanted a wireless solution for my dreamcast so bought a generic ps2/saturn to dreamcast adapter off ebay and also managed to find a sleak Sega Surf Wave wireless controller.

However the Sega Surf wave would not work for me straight off the bat. Infact originally I thought I had wasted my money. Because when connecting up the receiver to the adapter it will not light up or anything, just dead.

However I managed to find a work around by first using a Playstation one wired pad and loading up a game and then taking the playstation one pad out of the adapter and inserting the sega surf wave reciever.

The Receiver came to life straight away, lighting up and allowed me to use my Sega Surf Wave controller perfectly.

Not sure why it does this the surf wave is in perfect working order work flawlessly when installed on ps1/ps2 so thinking it must be something to do with the voltage in the adapter. Or maybe something to do with the metal plate thats on some control pad plugs.. Anyway its works and im happy, thought id share this because chances are it might work on other pads aswell. Just a shame I have to keep pluggin and unplugging the gamepads before use.

Ps the Sega Surf Wave is a dream to use so if you can find one dont hesitate, pick it up, defo recommended ;)
Jetstor
shadow

Post by Jetstor »

musuko wrote:Anyway its works and im happy
Ps the Sega Surf Wave is a dream to use

Nice to know it worked Musuko, and now more than ever the Sega Surf Wave is on my wishlist for sure... :)
rooster
photon blast

Post by rooster »

musuko wrote:Ps the Sega Surf Wave is a dream to use so if you can find one dont hesitate, pick it up, defo recommended ;)

That sounds like a cool idea. I'm not a fan of the PS2 controller, but the Sega logo + wirelessness are 2 big counter points.
Hunk_4TH
Anarki

Post by Hunk_4TH »

I know this is an old thread. But a while back I posted about some probs I was having with my Total Control 2. I noticed today there is an AC 9v port I figured maybe the controller needs the extra voltage? So I plugged in a 9v adapter and it seems to have done the trick the controllers seems to work perfectly now. I don't know why it wasn't mentioned you had to use a 9v adapter before ha ha.