Street Fighter Alpha/Zero 3 Dreamcast

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Dreamcastgaga
Roadster

Street Fighter Alpha/Zero 3 Dreamcast

Post#1 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:54 pm

I am a big SF fan and am aware that the Dreamcast version of Street Fighter Zero 3 for the Dreamcast is considered by the hardcore to be inferior to the Saturn(and PS2) version(s).

Could someone more knowledgeable that myself explain exactly what are the problems with the Dreamcast version and whether these inadequacies are noticeable if you are not a high level player. I always played the Naomi version of the game in the arcades, and the Dreamcast version was my first foray into Zero 3 so other than the Dreamcast controllers unsuitability, I have never really had any huge problems with the game.

Still, I love playing SF games with the Saturn pad and for completeness sake I may search for the game (I also love the artwork for that version) but I would like to know exactly what the differences are before I lay out a huge wod of cash for a game I already own twice (I have the regular and For Matching Service versions already).

Thanks,

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Re: Street Fighter Alpha/Zero 3 Dreamcast

Post#2 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:43 pm

Hmm... where to begin...
I am a big SF fan and am aware that the Dreamcast version of Street Fighter Zero 3 for the Dreamcast is considered by the hardcore to be inferior to the Saturn(and PS2) version(s).

To be fair, The true competitve Alpha 3 player will ALWAYS opt for the PS2 version over any other home port including Saturn simply because the former platform is the only home version based on the CPSII game (on top of also providing you with Z3 Upper as an unlockable). This is important because The Naomi version of the game isn't the tournament standard due to the significant balance changes that occured and also perhaps due to the fact that the Naomi coin op wasn't officially released outside of Asia.

Now concerning the Saturn port, the only major advantage I see that the Saturn has over the DC version or any other version outside of the PS1 port, is that the game is running a closer resolution of the arcade CPSII of 240p (DC and PS2 run at 480i giving you a more noticable washed out image). The saturn version still has more loading and some framerate dips though.

The major issues going of the DC port of Alpha 3 is the game running 480i, but worse is the majority of the games audio running on Mono.

Hope this helps out.
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

Dreamcastgaga
Roadster

Post#3 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:42 pm

Thanks, it sure helps.

Regarding the loading times, is it really noticeable like the PSX version or more closer to the DC?

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:47 pm

Def closer 2 the DC or even PSP version.

Dreamcastgaga
Roadster

Post#5 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:50 pm

Okay, that is great. Looking at YouTube I found a video that suggests that the Saturn version has "More characters, more animation, more stages, less loading"
and that "T.Hawk have his back step animation that has been cut on the Dreamcast, PSP, PS2 alpha anthology and arcade versions, the saturn port also shows more shadow clones when you pull a special move, not even the CPS2 shows that much shadows."

Considering the PSP version as well, there seems to be so many variations for this game.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:02 pm

Dreamcastgaga wrote:Okay, that is great. Looking at YouTube I found a video that suggests that the Saturn version has "More characters, more animation, more stages, less loading"
and that "T.Hawk have his back step animation that has been cut on the Dreamcast, PSP, PS2 alpha anthology and arcade versions, the saturn port also shows more shadow clones when you pull a special move, not even the CPS2 shows that much shadows."

Considering the PSP version as well, there seems to be so many variations for this game.

More characters!? I need names? Only PSP version and GBA versions have more characters than any console port of Alpha 3. You heard me!
More animations!? They are referring to the Hawk walk back animation. This is not exclusive to the Saturn version as many have claimed. It's also present on the PS2 version, so that is false.
Less Loading!? Incorrect. If it wasn't for the PS1 release, Saturn version of the game would be dead last in terms of load times.

jalvarez82
MicroMidget

Post#7 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:14 pm

CD AGES wrote:The true competitve Alpha 3 player will ALWAYS opt for the PS2 version over any other home port including Saturn simply because the former platform is the only home version based on the CPSII game

This... and a lot of people (fags!) hate on the DC controller, specifically for fighters.

Wulffee
letterbomb

Post#8 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:47 pm

This... and a lot of people (fags!) hate on the DC controller, specifically for fighters.

Isn't this why they made Arcade Sticks anyways for those "serious" arcade fans? lol

MikeStutzzzz
Outrun

Post#9 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:56 pm

ha ha first off i think the DC controller is the best for fighters, i played tekken on ps2 fighters on xbox MVC2 on Xbox and its just doesent feel right, dreamcast controller whens for my fighters any day of the week. and the fact i have the ASCII controller doesent hurt either :D
Meh Stuff http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18650#p18650
Before you download meh mirrors read this
http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2353&p=22482#p22482

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#10 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:44 pm

To be fair though, the DC controller is def NOT well suited for a traditional 6 button fighter like Alpha 3. But like its been mentioned here, an Agetec, Ascii stick or FT pad is a good alternative.