JP DC Games That Had Online. Maybe Get Them Back Online?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Sonic1994DC
Carnage

JP DC Games That Had Online. Maybe Get Them Back Online?

Post#1 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:10 pm

One day I was just wondering about Japanese Dreamcast games that could be played online. I have check these games and made sure that could be played online. All these games have a dial up connecting. It would be cool to see and play these games online.

Mavel Vs Capcom 2

Sega Rally 2

Dead Or Alive

Virtual On Oratorio Tangram

Capcom VS SNK Millenium Fight 2000 Pro

Wombat
Vagabond

Re: JP DC Games That Had Online. Maybe Get Them Back Online?

Post#2 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:52 pm

Japan had loads of online games, check this list out: http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/php ... ist_jp.php

It would be really great to see some of these title's back online, however seeing that the majority of Japanese titles use a different online protocol then the currently investigated western-releases, It's unlikely to see them working in the near future.

You might want to check out this: http://www.dcserv.org :)

Sonic1994DC
Carnage

Post#3 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:04 pm

[quote="Wombat"]Japan had loads of online games, check this list out: http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/php ... ist_jp.php

Thanks for the links. I was kind of think someone would say that it would be hard to get them back online. I do know Japan had a lot of online games but I'm seeing if you could actually play them against other people and not just have like an leaderboard or web pages to go to.

Dreamcastgaga
Roadster

Post#4 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:41 pm

I would literally wet my pants at the prospect of playing Capcom vs SNK 2 online on my Dreamcast once again.

Sonic1994DC
Carnage

Post#5 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:40 pm

Dreamcastgaga wrote:I would literally wet my pants at the prospect of playing Capcom vs SNK 2 online on my Dreamcast once again.

I probably would shit my pants if that was back online as well as these others :)

Sonic1994DC
Carnage

Post#6 » Wed May 06, 2015 5:29 pm

I found this fun game called Treasure Strike and basically You play as a Treasure hunter, whom you create, and battle other treasure hunters for the prize. You can sell treasures you gather to purchase new ARMs(aka weapons) or even go to the salon!
Attachments
t19701mshots.jpg
t19701mshots.jpg (47.95 KiB) Viewed 7411 times

petter3k
Developer

Post#7 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:20 am

There seems to be an increase in chances that *SOME* Japanese titles could actually be revived. Wether or not they are Japanese exclusives is unknown, but some of them seems to be using a system similar to many 1st and 2nd party titles released elsewhere.

However, I can confirm the following:

Games like Sega Rally 2 which used a "telephone-redirection-not-TCP/IP"-system is not going to happen, but some of the later ones like Outtrigger (probably same as USA release), Daytona USA 2001(MAYBE), NBA/NFL(not investigated the differences in region), and the internet-compatible version of Aero Dancing MAY be worth looking more into. I too am very curious about all of those JAP online titles, but they are far more difficult to look into obviously, and the developers of such games are not easy to get in touch with.

The main system/company was KDDI for most of the JAP online games, and the first actual TCP/IP game released was Chu Chu Rocket!, so any title released before that, has a very low chance of being resurrected.

However, nothing is impossible, and I AM NOT SAYING that the mentioned games WILL be resurrected any time soon - only that the chances of completing such tasks is higher because of the aforementioned reasons.
http://www.dcserv.org - NOT up to date.
Will be online for educational purposes, for now.

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#8 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:12 pm

for sega rally 2, all you did was upload/ download ghosts of other racers. i am working on a patched version to dreampipe so that one could be revived

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#9 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:20 pm

itsthinkingstill wrote:for sega rally 2, all you did was upload/ download ghosts of other racers. i am working on a patched version to dreampipe so that one could be revived

Not the Japanese version. That had actual online multiplayer with up to 4 players.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Sonic1994DC
Carnage

Post#10 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:28 pm

petter3k wrote:There seems to be an increase in chances that *SOME* Japanese titles could actually be revived. Wether or not they are Japanese exclusives is unknown, but some of them seems to be using a system similar to many 1st and 2nd party titles released elsewhere.

However, I can confirm the following:

Games like Sega Rally 2 which used a "telephone-redirection-not-TCP/IP"-system is not going to happen, but some of the later ones like Outtrigger (probably same as USA release), Daytona USA 2001(MAYBE), NBA/NFL(not investigated the differences in region), and the internet-compatible version of Aero Dancing MAY be worth looking more into. I too am very curious about all of those JAP online titles, but they are far more difficult to look into obviously, and the developers of such games are not easy to get in touch with.

The main system/company was KDDI for most of the JAP online games, and the first actual TCP/IP game released was Chu Chu Rocket!, so any title released before that, has a very low chance of being resurrected.

However, nothing is impossible, and I AM NOT SAYING that the mentioned games WILL be resurrected any time soon - only that the chances of completing such tasks is higher because of the aforementioned reasons.

I am very glad you commented on this discussion and are interested in trying to get some japanese games back. I'm trying to buy japanese games that had online and test them out like trying to connect to them, sadly I don't have the knowledge like you to actually do some work to them but I can inform you the games that did have it :mrgreen:
I got a japanese game from a friend and it has online or is online compatible like just having a webpage I'm still trying to figure that out but the game is called Cool Boarders Burrrn! I think it's a later 1999 release and it was made by UEP-Systems, here's some pictures of my trying to connect to the page. I'm thinking if it did had online features it was like SA's were you could upload your times and scores

IMG_3929.JPG

IMG_3930.JPG

IMG_3931.JPG

IMG_3932.JPG