Yet another Dreamcast Portable

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Star1
undertow

Yet another Dreamcast Portable

Post#1 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:34 pm

By Ben Heck (ofc?).

Figured some of you might like this, two videos documenting the build, with more coming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwbwBwhpgyc

Warning, purists might take offense of his dislike of the controller ;P

hudsthinking1999
Feet of Fury

Re: Yet another Dreamcast Portable

Post#2 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:31 pm

Star1 wrote:Warning, purists might take offense of his dislike of the controller ;P

I think the controller is okay. Not perfect, but 10 million times more comfortable than the PlayStation controller.

Ugh…yuk!
"Sonic was never good, and if you disagree, you can call the cops."

-Some plebs at IGN

Star1
undertow

Post#3 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:15 am

Yeah, I think the DC controller is surprisingly comfortable despite how bulky it looks. Wish they had kept the D-pad from the Saturn though.

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post#4 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:42 pm

The DC controller is designed for human hands, I think the Playstation was made for robots.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#5 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:00 pm

Interesting, he claims the reason the DC failed (in part 1 of 3) is the controller. He has belittled the DC as if it is worthless from time to time, so why is he doing this mod? Too bad Sony display doesn't support VGA.
Last edited by Bob Dobbs on Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

hudsthinking1999
Feet of Fury

Post#6 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:41 am

What is he talking about? The controller plays next to none of the reason why the DC failed. I'd say the other consoles destroyed its glory more than it.

PS2, in my mind, is Lee Harvey Oswald.
"Sonic was never good, and if you disagree, you can call the cops."

-Some plebs at IGN

Wombat
Vagabond

Post#7 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:13 pm

It's a missed opportunity of Ben not using a VGA screen and a GDEMU. This would have made the final results better + more portable, lightweight and user friendly.

Star1
undertow

Post#8 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:54 pm

I agree the controller probably had nothing to do with the downfall of the DC, Ben's just talking out of his *** there :P

I agree VGA and a gdEMU would be cool, but as someone who is looking for one, they waiting time can be long...

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post#9 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:57 pm

I kinda wish the GDEMU guy would put up the schematics for it online, I know it'd be out of my area of expertise, but I think it'd be something Ben could do.

Also, why did he use a PS1 screen? He could carve up a 2 or 3 year old smartphone (like say the original Galaxy Note) and get a much higher pixel per inch than that 15 year old screen, probably would use LEDs already too.

I'd say SCART is probably the best option, since not every game uses VGA, and then he'd have to make a tiny switch to go from RGB to VGA or something.

EnternalHope
dark night

Post#10 » Fri May 08, 2015 12:01 am

Star1 wrote:Yeah, I think the DC controller is surprisingly comfortable despite how bulky it looks. Wish they had kept the D-pad from the Saturn though.

Me too. While I wasn't/not a fan of 4 button touch designs and was content with DC's controller design, the classic D-Pad and 6 buttons the Saturn still sported was ideal for Arcade ports and 2D shumps.