Most you ever did or would pay for a Dreamcast game

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Dreamcastgaga
Roadster

Most you ever did or would pay for a Dreamcast game

Post#1 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:22 am

Wandering into a retro store in Tokyo today i was startled to see Super Street Fighter II X priced at 25,000 yen (roughly $230) and it got me thinking about how much people are willing to pay these days. In my own experience the most i have paid for a retro (i.e not purchased in the actual DC era) is 4,500 yen for Under Defeat LE.

The only really pricey game (i rarely see them both for less than 5000 yen each these days) that i still need to pick up are Shenmue USA and Gunspike which i sold accidentally half a year or so ago. I don't think these days I would go above that amount anymore for any game.

So what is your most expensive DC retro game and how much would you shell out for a must have game?

WWEDX2007
shadow

Re: Most you ever did or would pay for a Dreamcast game

Post#2 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:56 am

I would shell out $40 for Sonic Adventure 2 if I had it right now, I already own two copies on GameCube, and the digital releases on PS3 and Steam, but specifically the Dreamcast version is a childhood relic to me and I really want it back in my collection before it's all said and done. SA2 is my favorite game of all-time in case it isn't obvious lol.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:09 am

$230 for SF 2X!? :shock:

Been noticing a similar trend out here in CA. Went on some retro gamestore hunting with a friend over the weekend (something we haven't done together in a while). The prices on some gaming stores were ridiculous. $100 for a US copy of Mars Matrix. :?

In any event, Good question here. One which I'm putting alot of thought into to make sure whats the most I've paid for a DC game. Believe its $60. Under Defeat when it was released. Chaos Field like 2 years ago. That's perhaps the most I'll go for a DC game.
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

Vidmusc
noob

Post#4 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:41 am

For a Dreamcast game? Most I'd probably pay is $60. Really that just goes for any game on any platform for me though honestly.

GameOverYeah
Graffiti Grind

Post#5 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:13 am

I paid 70-something dollars for PAL copy of Shenmue 2, shipped. I am glad I did, because I did so just about a month or so before Shenmue 3 was announced and the prices became ridiculous.

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#6 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:42 pm

The most I've paid for a Dreamcast game so far is $85 for Shenmue II (PAL).

I don't really have a cap on the most I'd pay for a game because I've done well for myself and have more money than time to actually play the games.

Eventually I will have to pay the extortion fees for Cannon Spike, Project Justice, Illbleed, and a few others but whatever, it has to happen to complete the collection.

CDAGES: That's why I was asking you about the selection at game stores in LA because I'd rather go there and physically inspect the game for disc rot, ect. before shelling out $100+ bucks on it. All the places in Santa Barbara and Goleta have been completely picked over by me.

HerbalNekoTea
noob

Post#7 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:21 pm

I think i did buy Shenmue 1 full and clean for 15-20$ + Resident Evil Code Veronica for 10-15$ which have a dirty odor of cigarette. It was in a small Flea Market here in Canada. Obviously, it was in CAD cash when the value was the same in USD 3 years ago. I don't have too much Retail copy, i was poor, so when i got my DC in 2009, i was burning a lot of game with 1/2 of those failing to work because i did not know about overburn. :roll:

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post#8 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:46 pm

The last few years I haven't spent more than about $30 on a game (I got Grandia II at a game store for that, which isn't that bad, given the game store markup), I lucked out in finding SA2 for $25, but I've been mostly cultivating the low priced games at the moment, so a lot under $10.

Actually I mentioned at the game store I go to that their DC collection has shrunk in the past couple years, like 3 months ago they barely had a display section between DC and Saturn. It's grown in size lately (which is nice).

Yeah I'm lucky I got Shenmue 1 and 2 a long time ago.

pepecontreras
noob

Post#9 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:40 pm

The most I spend is 40$. As much as I love having original copies of the games I like, I'm not willing to pay more than that if the money isn't going to the original developers.

petter3k
Developer

Post#10 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:44 pm

I paid about 690 SEK which at the time was probably around 120USD for Shenmue (PAL).
http://www.dcserv.org - NOT up to date.
Will be online for educational purposes, for now.