Perfect Fit gdemu & fan

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
TacT
Uber

Perfect Fit gdemu & fan

Post#1 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:25 pm

Just got my GDemu after waiting months watching for the preorders to be open for less than 24 hours and wait a couple more months to get it. Totally worth it! XD

Also found this little fan and heatsink on an old cheap low end nvidia graphics card that fit Perfectly alongside the gdemu. I've seen other mods out there putting heatsinks and/or additional fans to help cooling, especially the power supply gets fairly hot.
This provides great airflow over to the psu and right under the gdemu across the cooling plate. pins plugged into the 5v power. This fan will go up to 12v but its plenty fast and quiet at 5v. I also swapped out the stock fan in here with one from another of my dreamcasts that is practically silent. All 5 of my dreamcasts have had all different parts from different manufacturers 3 of the fans are fairly noisy and this one is silent and seems to move enough air.

There is no hard modding and this is NOT permanent it can be easily removed at any time. A bit of thermal paste underneath and a bit of hot glue on each side to hold it but will easily pop off.

It looks too close but there's enough room for everything. at least a mm of room everywhere and nothing is touching the gdemu and its not too close to hit the sd card but i will not remove it while its turned on to be safe.
I trimmed away the plastic on that side to provide more space and airflow underneath. It fit perfectly and even a screwhole on the heatsink fit right where that little nub for the gd drive by the screw is so it sits perfectly flat on the plate. Like it was mean to be lol
Check it out!
WP_20150826_10_35_43_Pro.jpg

WP_20150826_10_35_31_Pro.jpg

WP_20150826_10_35_22_Pro.jpg

WP_20150826_14_17_32_Pro.jpg

WP_20150826_10_37_47_Pro.jpg

WP_20150826_10_37_52_Pro.jpg

WP_20150826_10_36_12_Pro.jpg

If I were ever going to do more Hard modding like overclocking I would cut away a the plate underneath and put the heatsink and fan right onto the cpu and gpu.
Last edited by TacT on Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

it's still thinking.

Star1
undertow

Re: Perfect Fit gdemu

Post#2 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:37 pm

Cool idea, Had been thinking of doing something of the same myself (I am finally on the list for a GDemu).

TacT
Uber

Post#3 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:49 pm

it's still thinking.

killbot80k
fire

Post#4 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:21 pm

Have to say out of all of those mods yours looks the cleanest Tact. I too am finally on the list for getting a GDEMU and I may have to do something like this as well. Nice job!

TacT
Uber

Post#5 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:24 pm

That fan just happened to fit. It was from an nvidia gt120 card.
Also I re cut a new shield for the power supply with a hole just the right size for the air vent of the fan so the air is kept over the front of the power supply and actually cools much better now =)

WP_20150909_08_06_01_Pro[1].jpg

and what makes a great cover just a blank cd protector

WP_20150909_08_06_24_Pro[1].jpg

it's still thinking.

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#6 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:30 pm

Really nice man. Didn't know the system in your avatar was yours
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

TacT
Uber

Re: Perfect Fit gdemu & fan

Post#7 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:37 pm

The color change LED Is a Looottt slower than that picture ^^

it's still thinking.

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#8 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:45 pm

Haha nice man! Nvidia, the way it was meant to be played. Looks great with the clear case! I was not sure what that would look like. I also have the black edition gdemu and a smoke clear shell. I like the look of the discs spinning in mine so I put the gdemu in my sports edition dc. How about a pic with the lid closed? Anyways sexy dc bro! One of my favs for sure! 8-)

TacT
Uber

Post#9 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:43 am

Aha I do enjoy seeing the disc spinning Thats the only thing I will miss. =)

I don't like hot glue is temporary so to secure it I drilled a small hole in the heatsink right where the screw for the original gdrom and used the screw to hold the heatsink in place This just keeps getting better =)
Also I put some leftover arctic thermal paste under it, not sure if it will help.

WP_20150912_00_38_15_Pro.jpg

WP_20150912_00_55_54_Pro.jpg

it's still thinking.

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#10 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:07 pm

Engineering perfection! It won't hurt :geek: