Replacing old Dreamcast games

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
mstar
Doom

Re: Replacing old Dreamcast games

Post#11 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:51 am

Dreamcastgaga wrote:Yes, it is not the laser. Some of my games are just worn from frequent play. Another one I have to replace is Crazy Taxi, luckily that one is more reasonable.

Was that a PAL release of Crazy Taxi?

If so, i've had my share of problems with PAL Crazy Taxi too.

Usually, what happens is that about 2 to 5 minutes into gameplay, the sound starts skipping or stops and some (and eventually, all) textures aren't loaded / displayed anymore. Together with this, an on-screen warning that the disc can't be read is displayed.

So, it looks like you're driving through a town without a street and without buildings etc.

This has happened to me with 2 PAL releases of Crazy Taxi, whereas a NTSC-J version i also own works just fine. Swapping Dreamcasts and even adjusting the laser didn't help - so it's not a problem of the hardware. Also, the discs have been in awesome, unscratched condition.

Bottom line: i think that Crazy Taxi is one of the Dreamcasts famous bad pressings, just like REZ is known to eventually stop working.

Dreamcastgaga
Roadster

Post#12 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:00 am

Yeah, PAL Crazy Taxi I have had a lot of issues with but I am not sure if it is just because my copy has had serious play throughout the years (since release). My Japanese version, hasn't been used as much and runs fine.

jetto-setto
noob

Post#13 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:56 pm

So the disc isn't visibly damaged?

A friend of mine has a large collection of Saturn/PS1 games, as do I. I've never had a single game stop working, but he actually runs into that kind of frequently, even with discs that aren't physically damaged. The only difference we can think of is that his collection isn't kept cool/dry year-round, whereas I've made a point to control the conditions in my game room in hopes of preserving everything better. As a matter of fact, he's also had his consoles yellow/stop working and I've never had that problem either.

Discs do deteriorate over time, so I wonder whether this problem could be accelerated more by the conditions in the place you keep your games rather than coming from simply playing them.

EDIT: On second thought, if heat does accelerate disc degradation, I wonder if it could be possible that games played more often could degrade more quickly due to the heat produced inside the console itself?

Dreamcastgaga
Roadster

Post#14 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:23 pm

I guess as living in Japan where it is quite humid in the summer, it could have a big effect. Cheers for the info.