Is Phantasy Star Online Good for RPG Newb?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
TailsfanDC
rebel

Is Phantasy Star Online Good for RPG Newb?

Post#1 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:38 pm

Hello,

In my quest for Sonic Adventure-related merchandise, I came across a demo disc named Sonic Adventure 2: The Trial. This disc came with PSO and the price for PSO is pretty low right now, so I was thinking of buying it. I can get the trial for $10 on it's own, but for the same price I can get PSO and the trial. I know if I buy both, I will want to try PSO, but my lack of RPG experience makes me hesitant. My experience with RPGs is limited to Pokemon and a little bit of Final Fantasy VII. Should I still buy PSO with this limited experience in mind or should I not bother?

Thanks in advance.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Re: Is Phantasy Star Online Good for RPG Newb?

Post#2 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:52 pm

depends on what you like I guess, FF is turn based & PSO is realtime (run around & slash)
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

TailsfanDC
rebel

Post#3 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:43 pm

mazonemayu wrote:depends on what you like I guess, FF is turn based & PSO is realtime (run around & slash)

So kind of like 3D Zelda? Sounds good to me.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#4 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:22 pm

It's not very similar to Zelda at all. Zelda is about puzzle solving and dungeon exploration, while PSO is a typical level grinding online game. (Kill enemies, level up, get stronger weapons to use against stronger enemies, repeat.)
"Fear the HUnewearl."

TailsfanDC
rebel

Post#5 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:06 pm

Aleron Ives wrote:It's not very similar to Zelda at all. Zelda is about puzzle solving and dungeon exploration, while PSO is a typical level grinding online game. (Kill enemies, level up, get stronger weapons to use against stronger enemies, repeat.)

My mistake. Thanks for the info.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#6 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:13 pm

PSO is a perfect noob rpg game.
You can buy it for less than 10 dollars.
And if you are cheap, just download the damn thing.
There are many platforms to choose from.
The best part of pso is the lobby chat.
I say give it a shot.
What do you have to lose?

Charlton
Anarki

Post#7 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:49 pm

TailsfanDC wrote:Hello,

In my quest for Sonic Adventure-related merchandise, I came across a demo disc named Sonic Adventure 2: The Trial. This disc came with PSO and the price for PSO is pretty low right now, so I was thinking of buying it. I can get the trial for $10 on it's own, but for the same price I can get PSO and the trial. I know if I buy both, I will want to try PSO, but my lack of RPG experience makes me hesitant. My experience with RPGs is limited to Pokemon and a little bit of Final Fantasy VII. Should I still buy PSO with this limited experience in mind or should I not bother?

Thanks in advance.

WHEN I WAS YOUNG I DIDNT "GET" PSO. NOW THOUGH I LOVE THE GAME. NOT JUST THE NOVELTY OF IT BUT THE ENVIRONMENTS, GAMEPLAY, EVEN THE STORY IS INTERESTING AND TOLD IN AN OLD SCHOOL COOL WAY. (ONLY LIMITED SKITS SO THEY STAND OUT MORE ETC.) I DONT LIKE DUNGEON CRAWLING GRINDERS FOR THE MOST PART BUT THIS ONE HAS A MAGIC TO IT. PERFECT FOR KICKING BACK WITH SOMETHING THATS ENGAGING BUT NOT OVERLY SO WHEN YOU WANT TO CHILL.

I SAY RISK THE TEN BUCKS, GET THE GAME DEMO YOU WANT AND MAYBE DISCOVER YOUR NEW FAVORITE GAME!
YOU CAN STILL GO ONLINE WITH IT TOO!

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#8 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:39 pm

PSO itself is actually a pretty terrible game: it's rather short and highly repetitive, so the game itself gets boring quickly. The thing that makes it gaming gold (or perhaps crack) is the online connectivity. It gives you that old arcade-style cooperative hack-and-slash gameplay with people on the other side of the world, which is a blast. It's the people that make PSO addictive, so if you can go online (with a keyboard!!!) it comes highly recommended. If you can only play offline, you'll get bored and move on within a month, probably.
"Fear the HUnewearl."