ASCII Mission (Flight) Stick

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
knuckles29
rebel

ASCII Mission (Flight) Stick

Post#1 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:51 pm

I finally tracked one down. Now I know it was intended primarily for Aero Dancing. But I have found it is customizable enough to be fun with things like Charge N' Blast. It is good with any game using L+R as Gas/Brake. So this leaves it open tomlots of driving and flying.

Is there anyone with more feedback on what works great with it? There is little besides product shots online. And most never mentioned that the 3 buttons on the joystick can be assigned XYAB; VERY awesome feature.

Note: Controller is in English, manual is in Japanese... LoL.

Edit: July 2020
Obviously resurrecting my own thread, but I have some amusing testing done to report on.

Propeller Arena- Plays as well as you would expect. The A-button being both right next to your Left Hand as well as programmable to any of the 1/2/3 makes it very easy to play. Pulling out of a Stall is its own experience swirling the stick.

Macros M3 - This is a bold claim, but hear me out: It is MUCH more playable with this control. Reason? The D-Pad is front and center for easy transforms. The program 1/2/3 again makes a play as these are the inputs for the Machine Gun and Missile Barrages! And the setup for the face buttons makes it quite easy to short stroke the combos.
Now this doesn't fix the game sinhernet flaws. But the layouts and setups really made it more enjoyable for me.

Hydro Thunder - The stick is VERY sensitive for this. It isn't unplayable, but you need to acclimate.

**Gonna play more games specifically to find some outstanding interactions. But if you are in a position to get one of these, there ARE NO INCOMPATIBLE GAMES!! It is just a remapped controller. Any other inputs below are ve ru welcome. I gotta get Armada, but it looks like another natural fit.
Last edited by knuckles29 on Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Re: ASCII Mission (Flight) Stick

Post#2 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:43 am

I use it to play Armada
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

knuckles29
rebel

Post#3 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:32 am

-Incompatible with Virtual On, and Sega Bass Fishing of all things.
-Driving games seem OK, not a great feel for me.
-Tried Unreal, and you need to program your stick, and I probablh prefer the Panther DC here.
-Great for Charge N Blast once you slow the cursor/rectile speed down. It is just fine for those Light Gun games on your HDTV.

Because it is a weighted platform, you can have fire and reload on the joystick, and unlike the Mouse, you don't need a surface to play on.

I will continue running my library through this.

UglyGoblinBoy
rebel

Post#4 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:04 pm

Ever try playing Starlancer with it? I'm debating getting one.

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#5 » Mon May 17, 2021 1:41 pm

Just found one of these on the cheap at a second hand shop. Was always curious about it. Besides the Aerowings titles, what else has anyone seen this work well with?

I need to give this a go with xenocider :D

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#6 » Mon May 24, 2021 3:18 pm

I just got one of these off eBay too, brand new. It definitely makes the flight games more enjoyable. I haven't tried it with anything else.