The Dreamcast Apocalypse

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
SMiTH
Black Mesa

Re: The Dreamcast Apocalypse

Post#11 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:25 pm

lastcallgames wrote:Probably not, it HAS to be a CD-Rom, not a CD-RW, or DVD anything. I'm not sure anyone still makes CD-Rom drives.

Actually there are other people that have successfully swapped the dc laser lens with pc cd burner laser lenses (cdr/rw etc).
If I remember correctly they used the creative model pc cd burner lens.
As far as dvd laser lenses go...that will not work.
Hence why I said earlier that it depends on the media types the console uses.
DC never used dvd media, so a dvd laser lens will not work on the DC.

The people that successfully swapped a pc cd burner lens with dc laser lens never stated that after a potentiometer tweak whether or not cdrw was working on dc.
If it turns out that this method allows for a more stable way of using cdrw's on the dc.
That would be the best swap to make.
This way you could test isos on cdrw before deciding which ones to actually burn to a cdr.
= Less coasters for those homebrew disks. :lol:

tsquad
rebel

Post#12 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:06 pm

So question. I have one game in my collection, frogger. It is in like new condition and my DC will not read the disk....could my laser be going out or is there potentially something else wrong? I do have another DC in the closet that I can bring out to test it but I just have not gotten around to it yet.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

wetdreamcast
lithium

Post#13 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:08 pm

tsquad wrote:So question. I have one game in my collection, frogger. It is in like new condition and my DC will not read the disk....could my laser be going out or is there potentially something else wrong? I do have another DC in the closet that I can bring out to test it but I just have not gotten around to it yet.

Could be the laser or it could be something else.

The problem we will all ending up having is reduced supply of working dreamcasts into the future and i hate to say, almost any working dreamcasts available. The way around this will be someone will need to be very knowledgable in what the problem is with a dreamcast and having a remedy for it.

It would also be a god send if someone could identify a modern laser Cd-rw laser that works with the console so that we can all stock up for future problems.

Someone tossed up the the idea of a dreamcast re-incarnation (much like what sega has done with genesis/mega drive) that would let you buy a new dreamcast that reads GD-Rom and CD-ROM and also has online store to purchase games. that would be amazing!!

androiddreamcast
dirty sailor

Post#14 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:37 pm

wetdreamcast wrote:
tsquad wrote:So question. I have one game in my collection, frogger. It is in like new condition and my DC will not read the disk....could my laser be going out or is there potentially something else wrong? I do have another DC in the closet that I can bring out to test it but I just have not gotten around to it yet.

Could be the laser or it could be something else.

The problem we will all ending up having is reduced supply of working dreamcasts into the future and i hate to say, almost any working dreamcasts available. The way around this will be someone will need to be very knowledgable in what the problem is with a dreamcast and having a remedy for it.

It would also be a god send if someone could identify a modern laser Cd-rw laser that works with the console so that we can all stock up for future problems.

Someone tossed up the the idea of a dreamcast re-incarnation (much like what sega has done with genesis/mega drive) that would let you buy a new dreamcast that reads GD-Rom and CD-ROM and also has online store to purchase games. that would be amazing!!

sorry to take this thread of topic but is this what your referring to

https://www.change.org/p/sega-of-americ ... jJXlVAmkce

it this came to fruition it would be amazing

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post#15 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:06 pm

That's unlikely, at best we'd get something like the Genesis portables.

Though, I do think the GD-EMU is probably the best bet for keeping DCs running long term. The disc unit is the part of the system most likely to fail, and I wouldn't be surprised if the EMU keeps running for decades (possibly with new SD cards, since they have read cycle limits.

androiddreamcast
dirty sailor

Post#16 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:30 pm

lastcallgames wrote:That's unlikely, at best we'd get something like the Genesis portables.

Though, I do think the GD-EMU is probably the best bet for keeping DCs running long term. The disc unit is the part of the system most likely to fail, and I wouldn't be surprised if the EMU keeps running for decades (possibly with new SD cards, since they have read cycle limits.

your right the GD-EMU is probably the most likely solution for keeping dreamcasts alive for longer

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#17 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:46 pm

I've been looking into this problem lately because I had one of my DCs' "die" recently. The trim pot adjustment method just doesn't work anymore.

I did find this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OPTICAL-LAS ... 3641.l6368

"NEW" optical lens pickup? Is this too good to be true? I think I might order one and find out but I first I want a few opinions :geek:

wetdreamcast
lithium

Post#18 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:28 pm

OGDCFAN99 wrote:I've been looking into this problem lately because I had one of my DCs' "die" recently. The trim pot adjustment method just doesn't work anymore.

I did find this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OPTICAL-LAS ... 3641.l6368

"NEW" optical lens pickup? Is this too good to be true? I think I might order one and find out but I first I want a few opinions :geek:

That sounds amazing, if you order please do let us know the outcome of it...

I'm going to contact the seller to see if they are actually producing these themselves, because if they are, then this person is a genious for being able to manufacture dreamcast lasers independently.