What game(s) got you to get a Dreamcast?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
noiseredux
Power Stone

Re: What game(s) got you to get a Dreamcast?

Post#11 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:54 pm

for me it was Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2. I had a roommate who brought a Dreamcast and he had a bag of games, but that was all we played for months. Years later I decided it was time to investigate the console myself, but THPS was top on the list.

Ghudda
noob

Post#12 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:03 pm

So the Dreamcast highlights one of my most memorable Christmas's and there are multiple games that made me want one as a kid. First, it may have been in New Orleans as a kid, but I remember playing a Sega Bass Fishing arcade cabinet and thinking it was the coolest thing ever before I got a DC. Sonic Adventure, Toy Commander, and Ready 2 Rumble were probably the selling points for me. I remember discovering the DC early hidden in a closet and lost my mind when my mom told me (lying) that that was actual for the neighbor and they were just hiding it here.

But yeah, SA, Bass Fishing, Ready 2 Rumble, and Toy Commander for sure.

kikenovic
rebel

Post#13 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:10 pm

easy, for me it was Sonic, a proper sequel and in 3D. To date it's still my favorite game ever.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#14 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:53 am

What caught my interest in Sega at the time was when The House of the Dead 2 and Crazy Taxi came out in the arcades. I was thrilled to have them at home and have since "worn out" my original copies. Sonic Adventure was a favorite too but at the time it wasn't what initially got me to ask my parents for a Dreamcast.

GreaseWaffle
undertow

Post#15 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:31 pm

I got my Dreamcast years after it was officially discontinued, but the game that i got a DC for was actually Seaman. I couldn't play it anywhere else, and i desperately wanted to play it because i was very interested. So i picked up my DC.

It would only be recently that i could actually play Seaman though XD

Veraster
shadow

Post#16 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:14 am

For me it was definitely Phantasy Star Online. I was a big fan of Diablo on the PS1 and playing an Action RPG that looked like Zelda with multiple people online just blew me away. I actually first got Time Stalkers and GunBird 2 first before I got Phantasy Star Online.

Neptune
shadow

Post#17 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:02 pm

noiseredux wrote:for me it was Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2. I had a roommate who brought a Dreamcast and he had a bag of games, but that was all we played for months. Years later I decided it was time to investigate the console myself, but THPS was top on the list.

Oh, thats a game Im actually hoping to pick up. I had a friend who owned a playstation back when I was a kid (I was a N64 kid) and we used to play THPS 1 together for like days at a time. Then when he got THPS 2 I was blown away, haha. I thought it was the best game ever. I really wanna pick it up for DC just for nostalgia. (And also because its a really good game : p)

Veraster wrote: I actually first got Time Stalkers and GunBird 2 first before I got Phantasy Star Online.

Oh, you played Time Stalkers? Did you like it? What did you think of it?

And I guess the first games that would have gotten me into DC would be Skies of Arcadia and Shadowman, because I played both of those games on Nintendo consoles and really liked them a ton. Ive heard that Shadowman is better on DC, and I just want SoA on DC just cuz (Also the cover art is one million times better on the DC version >.>). So those motivated me to look into the DC.

But after looking into the console, the first games to catch my attention were actually Time Stalkers and Grandia 2, haha. They looked way awesome, and I really wanted to try them out. Am excited to play them here soon.

It'll take some time....
Before we take that ship....

grimgravy014
fire

Post#18 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:56 pm

The game that originally got me to get a Dreamcast was Soul Calibur. First played it at a friend's house, and from that point on I was hooked.

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#19 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:15 pm

i would not have bought a Dreamcast if not for 3 games and an accessory...

The Saturn NetLink.. Saturn Bomberman, Saturn Sega Rally, & Saturn Virtual On...

shinerbock
fire

Post#20 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:48 pm

House of the Dead 2 and Soul Calibur for me. I remember going and buying the Dreamcast, an extra controller, 2 light guns, those two games. HOTD because my wife and I loved playing it in the arcades, and Soul Calibur because it had gotten such killer reviews at the time.