What game(s) got you to get a Dreamcast?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
hawkzer0
dirty sailor

Re: What game(s) got you to get a Dreamcast?

Post#31 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:12 pm

For me, growing up I had the Genesis and adored everything sonic and Sega. I kind of skipped over the 32 bit systems and when I heard there was a 3d sonic game coming out for the new Sega system I knew I had to have it. Unfortunately my father didn't think the Dreamcast was a good investment because of Sega's downfalls of the 90's and got me ps2 one year for Christmas. That was an OK console but didn't satisfy my Sega lust haha. I ended up getting a dc from sears when they were being sold for $40! The next week I was playing PSO on schthack and haven't looked back since !
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Blarneo
rebel

Post#32 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:58 am

Believe it or not, it was the web browser. I had a 8 year old Mac (that finally fried) I hadn't replaced and not a lot of money for a new one for at least a year, so the Dreamcast I bought got me back online for $300 vs. $1000+ for a Powerbook.

That and I skipped the Saturn, but Sonic Adventure and Gauntlet Legends helped justify it.

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#33 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:32 am

Since I was sort of a Sonic junkie back then, it was Sonic Adventure 2 for me.

It was 2004, after playing all of the old school classic Sonics on emulators, Sonic Adventure DX and Sonic Heroes on PC, Sonic Adventure 2 was the only major game at the time I haven't played yet. Since there wasn't a PC port of it back then, either the Gamecube or Dreamcast version was my only option. (I haven't even heard of the Dreamcast until around 2003 when we got broadband Internet, the last console I even knew about was the Super Nintendo since my brothers rented one a few times back in the day.) I tried DC emulation on PC, but that was still pretty buggy back then. When I read that you can burn DC games on CDs, I decided on that instead of the Gamecube version, purely to save on money, lol. (I was and still am a cheapskate.)

ncman071
Sunday Shootout

Post#34 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:32 am

NFL 2k

sverige-warrior
core

Post#35 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:15 pm

Star wars episode one Jedi power battles. I Was 11 When Episode One Came Out I was Obsessed With That Movie And This Game Was Better On Dc Then Psx It Was Awesone And I Still Play It To This day!
what can you tell me about that day the snow turned to rain?

Maliki
lithium

Post#36 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:36 pm

Third Strike was what made me really want one... And seeing my friend with Shenmue and DOA 2 ^_^
Kurupt FM wif a K like... 108.9 on ya dial u mugz <3

Sega1Dream
Donated

Post#37 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:22 pm

Sonic Adventure made me reserve mine from Electronics Boutique almost 9 months before it was released for U.S. Great release date of 9.9.99! So many more great games came out to keep the Dream alive.

streetlights
noob

Post#38 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:01 am

i got a dreamcast as a throw in to when I was purchasing a fightstick that would work on multiple consoles (ps3/ps2/dreamcast)

i wish i would've bought one of these when I was younger...i never really played the DC...but i can't stop playing the tennis game!

so far I've gotten tennis, marvel vs capcom 1 & 2, street fighter double impact, and bass fishing...also picked up a vga cable...let me know if you guys have any suggestions...my next purchase will probably be the fishing reel and shenmue...

does anyone know a good place to buy dreamcast games? i bought street fighter alpha 3 on ebay for $17 with the original case and manual and the asshole sent me the ps1 version!

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#39 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:27 pm

Playing Crazy Taxi and HOTD2 in the arcades back in high school and the rest is history.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#40 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:48 am

It was my wife that talked me into buying only my second console at a Toys'r'Us for my daughter, but then I found that it played Q3A, Shenmue, the NFL2k series and the soon-to-be-released NHL2k2 inspired me to buy one for myself. I really miss those days of

BTW, Intellivision was my first console (I did eventually own 3) which I ironically bought there in 1990. Space Spartans and Tron games are still the game that I play. Space Spartans with the Intellivoice module is still in my top 10 all-time games. Do not look it up on youtube, it looks very lame, but if you are playing it, it's a mega rush that no game has ever given me and my comrades.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs