What game(s) got you to get a Dreamcast?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Soulcast
lithium

Re: What game(s) got you to get a Dreamcast?

Post#21 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:08 pm

I got a Dreamcast for Shenmue and Virtua Fighter 3TB. I later sold VFTB, but the Shenmue.

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#22 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:18 pm

PSO got me to pull the trigger, but it would have to be Sonic Adventure that piqued my interest. I played the demo kiosks for SA and the clarity and smoothness of the 3D graphics was an absolute revelation coming from the comparatively low-res and muddy textures of the PSX and N64 I had at the time.

Being a poor high-schooler, it wan't until the stores began to clearance everything out that I could afford to buy the system and a decent number of games. I didn't care that the system was dead. I could still enjoy it all the same. Plus, PSO was still online and that's what I really wanted to play.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

DocOccult
shadow

Post#23 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:44 pm

I got a Dreamcast in 2000 a few months after launch. It was the first console I bought with my own money from working a real job (previously bought an N64 with student loan money). Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur sold me on it at the time. Also picked up Legacy Of Kain.

gjb1985
drunken sailor

Post#24 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:00 am

I got my dreamcast at launch. I was just 14 and really wanted one and my parents got me one. I read about dreamcast in a magazine during the summer of 99 and was always a sega fan and had to have this powerful monster. the game that really sold me was ready to rumble boxing, which was revolutionary and so impressive at the time. I was also an arcade fan from the 90s and being able to first play games like virtua striker and virtua tennis in the arcades and then go to the shop and buy them is something words do not do justice

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Post#25 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:32 am

I was a huge Sega fanboy during the 16-bit days when I got a Megadrive in Xmas 95 aged 10. By the time the DC came out I was a Playstation fanboy. My parents' rented me one for my birthday and I loved it. I think I first played it at my local cienma which had a demo cubicle. Shortly after people at school started saying it was "uncool" following the Saturn's sad dimise and being a sheep I remember thinking "lol dreamcast".

But then fall 2000 came around. Game magazines in the UK were full of these gorgeous screenshots of Jet Set Radio, Shenmue and Phantasy Star Online. I was completely blown away, especially by JSR which just looked like the coolest shit ever.

My friends all thought the games looked cool, but they were all super hyped for the PS2. I quickly gained distain for the PS2 and the wandering sheep especially as the line up for the PS2 was utter dogshit. I just coulndn't understand why so many people wanted a PS2 when the line up looked horrible. Even UK games mags were hyping the Dreamcast's Xmas line up over the PS2. Anyway Christmas day 2000 rolled around and I got my Dreamcast - all my friends bar one got a PS2. Shenmue blew me away on Christmas morning. The music and visuals of JSR were like nothing I'd ever seen before. And finally I could surf the internet and play online! It didn't disappoint and it's still my main go-to console.

Sorry for the long post, got carried away with nostalgia :)

TL;DR - Jet Set Radio an Shenmue
aka DavidHK on DC games.

akumajobelmont
undertow

Post#26 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:01 am

As a Saturn owner, I was sold on the Dreamcast before I really wanted any actual games for it. I knew it was SEGA, and that was good enough for me. What convinced me to pre-order early, however, was seeing Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur running on a display unit at my local Electronic's Boutique. I stood watching that screen for a good half-hour, and I was flooooooored. Pre-ordered on the spot, I did.

When launch day came around, I took home Sonic Adventure, SEGA Rally 2, Blue Stinger and Soul Calibur. I was set :)

Kurasiu
fire

Post#27 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:09 am

I remember being overly excited while reading Grandia II, Skies of Arcadia, Phantasy Star Online, Jet Set Radio and Shenmue reviews.
Not to mention all of the pre-release information and screenshots, especially from Sonic Adventure, as well as the Polish Dreamcast adverts.

Halcyon
rebel

Post#28 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:31 pm

I was in an electronics class in collage and the girl next to me said something about an 8 bit nintendo game. I asked if she had any problems with connectivity issues on the NES. She said she was playing it on the Dreamcast on an emulator. I left class early went to the game stop and bought a Dreamcast, i met her the next day and she had burned me an NES emulator. I was in love from then on in. At first i got as many burned games as my collage bandwidth would allow, but eventually i bought as many as i could because i wanted to support the system, but by then it was 2002 and pretty much too late. However name a launch title and it was a reason i kept playing the thing long after the excitement of the NES emulator left me.
Robots build Robots

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post#29 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:53 pm

HuntrRose wrote:i would not have bought a Dreamcast if not for 3 games and an accessory...

The Saturn NetLink.. Saturn Bomberman, Saturn Sega Rally, & Saturn Virtual On...

I know it's not exactly related, but when I got my DC at an EB Games, they asked if I wanted the white one or the black one, because they'd have to get it from a different store either way. Knowing the Sega Sports one is more collectible, I got the black one.

That night I literally had nightmares that I'd get there and they had a Saturn instead of the black Dreamcast.

Veraster
shadow

Post#30 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:01 pm

Neptune wrote:Oh, you played Time Stalkers? Did you like it? What did you think of it?

I really liked it. It felt like a rougelike with a monster raising mechanic.
It got a LOT of bad reviews though. I would not consider it as good as Phantasy Star Online or Skies of Arcadia.