What game(s) got you to get a Dreamcast?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
knuckles29
rebel

What game(s) got you to get a Dreamcast?

Post#1 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:13 pm

For me it was Get Bass! (Sega Bass Fishing). I played the import Japanese game at an Electronics Boutique in March of '99 while they were trying to build hype for the fall. The pacing, graphics, and ease of gameplay sold me then and there.

Knowing it was the next Sega system, i kept an eye out for the announcement of Virtual On, and when it was.. I never looked back.

In the USA, Sega Bass Fishing did not come out till late Sept '99, while we had the system in early Sept. So at launch I got the beloved arcade port, Hydro Thunder. I knew nothing of the NAOMI Board conversions and what-not. I was pleasantly surprised at how many Sega games could just "come over" from arcade to TV... ah... "those were the days".

ANyone else drawn in by a specific title, or a few titles? Was it a launch title, or a future title?

androiddreamcast
dirty sailor

Re: What game(s) got you to get a Dreamcast?

Post#2 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:35 pm

I was born the same year the dreamcast came out in japan as was to young to remember the system while it was on the market and the hype surrounding it . I only found out sega used to make consoles and that the dreamcast was a console in 2012 although I recognized the name "Dreamcast" from the old Arsenal football/soccer kits.

I got into dreamcast when I read the wikipedia page on the system and was blown away when I found out the console had online gaming and connectivity in 1999/2000 because I always though online console gaming started with halo 2 on the xbox , and further blown away when I found out about GD-ROMS and was amazed by this 1GB disc which seemed far superior to a 700MB CD. Even after being blown away by the dreamcast hardware I instantly dismissed the games as shit because I knew nothing about them and was only used to playing ps1 , ps2 and xbox 360 games.

So eventually I did some research on dreamcast games and after reading about the plot in shenmue and dino crisis and I began to realize how great the system was . Other games that got me into the dreamcast were games like conflict zone (because I thought it would be like call of duty but it wasn't) and 4x4 evo because it reminded me of mx vs atv unleashed on the ps2. I knew about crazy taxi but only because it was on the ps2

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#3 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:36 am

I got a dreamcast when it came out, because...it was the dreamcast
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

krssn
Metallic

Post#4 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:11 am

mazonemayu wrote:I got a dreamcast when it came out, because...it was the dreamcast

Because the games on the Japanese demo console in a local shop looked stunning.

The detail in Claire's eye, the bottle in Blue Stinger's intro, Sonic gameplay...

How could you not want a Dreamcast after seeing all that...

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post#5 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:52 pm

I think it might have been Shenmue. I was at Disney World in 2000, and they had a bunch of DC games to play, and Shenmue was SO GODDAMN BEAUTIFUL.
Sonic Adventure didn't hurt, nor did Soul Calibur.

ceriux
rebel

Post#6 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:18 pm

quake (1), shenmue, skies of arcadia, phantasy star, gauntlet legends, half-life, house of the dead. to name a few.

when i got my first DC it was just because i had always been a sega guy, then it was probably sea man, phantasy star online, and shenmue the most though.

Dreamcast_Ninja
dark night

Post#7 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:17 pm

For me it was King of fighters dream match 99.

Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG

Post#8 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:58 pm

No specific game, but I think Sonic adventure was playing in the shop where I bought my dc.
I just happened to be walking past a store and there was a lot of commotion, as I drew closer I saw advertising on the windows indicating that a new console had just launched, it must have been The EU launch day I guess. On a whim I went to the bank, got money and bought a dreamcast, with sonic adventure.
I was bored and was just recovering from a very bad time in my life, the dc became my favourite console ever. Of course I was then amazed at all the amazing games, the draw distance, with no pop-up in MSR, soul calibur etc. It made my ps1 look very dated indeed.

Future Gum
shadow

Post#9 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:44 am

Growing up I never had a console prior to the Dreamcast except an N64, which I didn't play very much. However every day after school I would go to a bowling alley that had a huge arcade full of awesome Sega arcade machines such as House of the dead, virtua cop and Sega Rally 2 and I was obsessed with these games. So the promise of having these games at home made me so excited to get one. Sadly the arcade shut down a long time ago :(
Game over yeaaaaaaaaaah!

Green Ranger
killer

Post#10 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:53 pm

I picked up a Dreamcast after it was no longer officially on the market, and to be honest I picked it up because I read online that it could play SNES games via an emulator. :lol:

Overtime however, I soon learned about all the awesome titles the system had. The first Dreamcast game I played in fact, was Mr. Driller.