Sega Dreamcast Component Cable (YPbPr) is coming soon!

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Re: Sega Dreamcast Component Cable is coming soon!

Post#11 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:47 pm

So if it were to seamlessly work with non vga games (like they imply) that would mean that either:

A) It automatically switches between 480i and 480P, something which I have never seen before
B) It only runs in 480i mode but (being component cables) separates the RGB in a type of "higher resolution interlaced mode" An example of this would be playing a non-progressive scan compatible game on a Gamecube with component cables.
C) It actually taps into the Dreamcast's SCART leads and only outputs 240P

Unless there is something I'm missing?

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post#12 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:08 pm

I think it would be a switchless box that either taps the VGA signal for VGA games (and maybe forceable ones), or RGB for ones that won't work. Then it upscales straight to 480p for the RGB ones.
I could be wrong though.

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#13 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:21 pm

Dang that sounds pretty advanced. If that's even remotely the case then they should build that technology into a vga box or cable. I'd happily replace my existing vga boxes for that. But I kinda have a feeling its one of those 3 cases I mentioned. Could be wrong, but we'll see once someone gets one and shares their findings.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#14 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:05 pm

I believe your guess A is the correct one. The cable will use 480p mode for games that support the VGA box and automatically use 480i mode for games that don't support VGA. VGA doesn't normally carry interlaced video modes, which is why VGA cables don't do that. Component cables, however, carry both interlaced and progressive video, and all TVs with component inputs will support both 480i and 480p on those inputs. The quality for 480p should be very close to using a VGA cable, as component supports resolutions well above 480p.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

ch0pzta
GD-ROM

Post#15 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:05 pm

Need this cable now.
Current online Dreamcast games:
Quake 3 Arena - -ch0pzta>
Phantasy Star Online (Version 2) - ch0pzta - HUmar - YELLOWBOZE Lv60-odd

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#16 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:03 pm

That's interesting. So it will sense when games that don't have the vga "flag" in the boot sector thus avoiding the "wrong av cable" message so you don't have to do the switch trick during boot up. So automatically doing the "switch trick" tricking the Dreamcast into thinking theirs just regular av cables attached. I wonder how it auto senses?

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#17 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:09 pm

To add to that last post: Isn't the only way the Dreamcast will render any sort of 480P or "high resolution mode" is if it detects a vga box attached? I just find this really interesting.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#18 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:34 pm

OGDCFAN99 wrote:I wonder how it auto senses?

It will probably be able to detect the initial video signal sent by the DC and switch modes accordingly. A component cable can just send 480i/p without any sensing circuitry, but the DC cable probably needs some kind of internal switch to trick the DC into thinking that either a VGA box or composite cable is connected, depending upon what the game wants.

It's important to be clear that there are three types of DC software. The first is fully compatible with the VGA box and will use VGA mode automatically when one is connected, since the VGA flag is enabled in the game's boot sector. The second is also fully compatible with the VGA box, but because the developer incorrectly set the VGA flag in the boot sector to false, it won't accept a VGA box unless you use a boot disc to trick it into running in VGA mode. The third type is incompatible with the VGA box, because it renders its graphics in such a way that 480p output is impossible, or at least that's what I've been led to believe.

The only thing the component cable will be able to do is to switch back to 480i mode when a game says that it doesn't support VGA mode, and this will happen for both type 2 and type 3 games. You'll still need a boot disc or a hacked boot sector to boot type 2 games in VGA mode, AFAIK.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#19 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:37 pm

Yeah I'm aware of the 3 types.. But this is good stuff! That "internal switch" is what fascinates me if their really able to make that work. It would have to happen right after it checks the disc and quick enough to avoid the "wrong av cable" message.

GameOverYeah
Graffiti Grind

Post#20 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:46 am

Do you guys know if it will work on CRT TVs that have component inputs?