Defective Dreamcast Sonic Adventure games

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
GKnight
noob

Defective Dreamcast Sonic Adventure games

Post#1 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:37 pm

Hello, sorry if this is a repeat topic, hopefully it's not. I have a number of Sonic Adventure games which I purchased together, disc only stacked on a spool, which are mostly in like-new condition. I sold a few on eBay and one customer ended up filing a case saying the disc was defective and that the production number of the disc indicated this. I checked out the other discs from the stack his disc came from and each one had the same production number as his. I tested a number of the discs though each one worked just fine so I then sent the customer a replacement copy assuming that it was just something that might have been wrong with the first disc I sent him. I was then told though that the replacement disc was not working either. The discs all have the number "IFPI 9220" printed on the inner plastic ring, which is mentioned on some sites as being from a defective run of these discs. For further testing, I just tried running one of these discs on a different Dreamcast console, the black Sega Sports model, and it actually didn't boot up, so for some reason the discs work fine on one model console but not the other, and most likely there are a number of other consoles these won't work on since the customer told me he tested the games I sent him on a couple different systems.

My questions basically are, does anyone know why these discs would run on one DC console and not others, and is there any sort of list or way to know what consoles these discs will work on?

Thanks!!

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Re: Defective Dreamcast Sonic Adventure games

Post#2 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:35 pm

It could be the age of the laser head or the quality of the disc itself. I had this happen on my Saturn, PS1, PS2, Xbox original, PS3, and even various personal computers.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#3 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:00 pm

There was a defective batch of games at launch. I found that out the hard way when I had to order 3 different copies of Blue Stinger until I got a working one. The sellers on Amazon were clueless of it and one thought I was trying to rip him off until I sent him a link to an article from back then explaining all of this.
http://www.goodcowfilms.com/farm/games/ ... Launch.htm

There was an IGN article at the time as well but I cant find it.

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#4 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:02 pm

But the fact that these defective discs work on some consoles and not on others is interesting.. wish I would've tested that out.

GKnight
noob

Post#5 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:59 pm

Adding to the interestingness of it, I tried a couple of the IFPI 9220 games out again this morning on my black Sega Sports console and to my surprise they loaded just fine. Later on in the day though I tried them once more and it was back to the same problem - the console loads up to the Dreamcast logo screen then doesn't do anything after that. They are still loading just fine on my other system though and I haven't had one issue with loading them with that system yet.

Two customers who previously purchased the game from me just replied to my inquires about whether or not the games had worked for them, one saying that he wasn't able to get the game working at first but later on it was working fine, and the other person saying that he can play it on his revision 0 console fine but on his two rev. 1 consoles both give a "Please Insert disc" error. Both consoles I've tested the game on here were rev. 1, so the theory that the games will only work on certain revision consoles is kind of out the door now too. It would be nice to find an easy answer for this issue, I suppose it could be a console laser issue or an issue with the quality of the media the 9220 games were printed on though it would be nice to know for sure.