Where's my Sonic Adventure 3?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Soulcast
lithium

Where's my Sonic Adventure 3?

Post#1 » Wed May 11, 2016 12:24 am

Was SA3 released yet? Was it supposed to be announced as Sonic's 25th Anniversary game?

SoulOfIce
rebel

Re: Where's my Sonic Adventure 3?

Post#2 » Wed May 11, 2016 1:15 am

No, and no one knows :\ Except Sega, obviously :3

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Post#3 » Wed May 11, 2016 1:25 pm

We got Sonic Adventure 3. It was called Sonic Unleashed.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

androiddreamcast
dirty sailor

Post#4 » Wed May 11, 2016 2:22 pm

I think sega has reserved certain games for their own first party consoles which they of course no longer make

Soulcast
lithium

Post#5 » Wed May 11, 2016 7:33 pm

scaryred24 wrote:We got Sonic Adventure 3. It was called Sonic Unleashed.

Not according to Sonic News Network:

Sonic Unleashed was originally intended to be the third installment of the Sonic Adventure series[13] and subsequently, at an early development stage, had the working title Sonic World Adventure, complete with work-in-progress logo. However, the development team began to introduce enough new innovations to separate it from the Sonic Adventure titles,[3] and so a new title, Sonic Unleashed, was decided upon.

Sorry, it doesn't count.

Btw, some would argue that Sonic 06 was supposed to be "spiritual successor" to SA3. Others would argue Sonic Heroes is supposed to be SA3.

Unacceptabe.

Its been around 15 years since SA2 graced the DC. If we could green-light a Shenmue III then its about time we've had an official third-installment to the Sonic Adventure Series.

What's it gonna take? Petitions? Kickstarter? Kidnappings?

EnternalHope
dark night

Post#6 » Wed May 11, 2016 8:49 pm

androiddreamcast wrote:I think sega has reserved certain games for their own first party consoles which they of course no longer make

That is correct.

Iron Dreamcast
rebel

Post#7 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:48 pm

I get that you made this post awhile ago but there are 2 new games. First is Sonic Mania a 2D game in the style of the classics, black eyes and everything. Then there is Sonic Forces a 3D game that plays like the other modern titles but they are taking inspiration from them all. There are 3 playable characters, Modern Sonic, Classic Sonic who will be like he was in Generations, and you get to create your own character which seems 1/3 Shadow The Hedgehog (2005) 1/3 Sonic Colors (20010) and 1/3 Sonic Boom Rise Of Lyric (2014)

But SA3 should NOT happen, Sega has lost their touch the last time we got an Adventure styled game was in 2006 with Sonic 06 and everyone hated that game. They should stick to the boost since it seems to work well, Colors and Generations got good reviews and Unleashed's Daytime levels were praised as the best 3D levels in the whole series. If SA3 happened everyone will hate it, b/c when Sonic 4 came out, people complained about EVERYTHING.

Imo the closest we came to SA3 was Heroes, it had a similar art style (which I friggin' adore btw) similar music, it had the original voice cast, the plot was like a cartoon, and Sonic and friends control like their Adventure counterparts.

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#8 » Sat May 20, 2017 3:12 am

Iron Dreamcast wrote:I get that you made this post awhile ago but there are 2 new games. First is Sonic Mania a 2D game in the style of the classics, black eyes and everything. Then there is Sonic Forces a 3D game that plays like the other modern titles but they are taking inspiration from them all. There are 3 playable characters, Modern Sonic, Classic Sonic who will be like he was in Generations, and you get to create your own character which seems 1/3 Shadow The Hedgehog (2005) 1/3 Sonic Colors (20010) and 1/3 Sonic Boom Rise Of Lyric (2014)

But SA3 should NOT happen, Sega has lost their touch the last time we got an Adventure styled game was in 2006 with Sonic 06 and everyone hated that game. They should stick to the boost since it seems to work well, Colors and Generations got good reviews and Unleashed's Daytime levels were praised as the best 3D levels in the whole series. If SA3 happened everyone will hate it, b/c when Sonic 4 came out, people complained about EVERYTHING.

Imo the closest we came to SA3 was Heroes, it had a similar art style (which I friggin' adore btw) similar music, it had the original voice cast, the plot was like a cartoon, and Sonic and friends control like their Adventure counterparts.

I would argue on a few points you make.

1: People didn't hate Sonic 2006 because it was an Adventure style game. They hated it because it was an incomplete, incompetent take on the Adventure style game. The same way people didn't hate Sonic 4 because it was a 2D classic style game, they hated it because it was an incompetent 2D classic style game. The style is not the problem, it's the quality of them. Otherwise, why the hell would have they allowed for Sonic Mania to happen if they think the style is no longer desired/wanted by the audiance?

2: The boost never worked well, not in Unleashed, and not in any other following games. At best it should have been a 1 game only gimmick like the sword gameplay in Black Knight. In the classic (and imo the Adventure games we well), going fast was a reward for being a skilled player and not bumping into everything. With the boost, there is no reward. Even if you hit something, by a press of a button, you're already at full speed again. Not to mention boosting on a rail and boosting in midair makes absolutely no sense at all, and since it makes you pretty much invulnerable, takes almost every challenge away. And the character controls terribly. You're either going way too fast, or way too slow, turning is almost impossible when boosting. Imo the boost centered games had terrible control of the character in every way. Not to mention the gameplay is more automated and scripted than ever. Grinding is 100% scripted, momentum has been thrown out the window in favor of constant speed. Also, we have been only getting 1 playable character for like a decade now, always only Sonic...he might be the main character, but it shows their lack of creativity if they can't come up with something for Tails or Knuckles as well, because I don't think they are impossible to incorporate into a 'modern' game.

3: I agree that SA3 should NOT happen, at least not by SEGA or the current Sonic Team, because they have been proving for a decade now that they are incompetent at making Sonic games. But in the proper hands, a good SA3 could and should be made. Because it's not the Adventure style gameplay that's the problem...it's just SEGA/Sonic Team.

Saiga GeneCast
dark night

Post#9 » Sat May 20, 2017 1:40 pm

Maybe if Sega ever made a new console, they would make a Sonic Adventure 3. This way, Sega would have a great game to launch with their brand new console when they enter back into the market.
Unfortunately, this might never happen.
:(

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#10 » Sat May 20, 2017 2:33 pm

Saiga GeneCast wrote:Maybe if Sega ever made a new console, they would make a Sonic Adventure 3. This way, Sega would have a great game to launch with their brand new console when they enter back into the market.
Unfortunately, this might never happen.
:(

Nope, this will never happen, at least not in this crowded market. Major player(s) would have to leave/drop out of the console market for it to even make a little sense, and even then expecting SEGA to get back in that business is very unlikely.