Where's my Sonic Adventure 3?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Iron Dreamcast
rebel

Re: Where's my Sonic Adventure 3?

Post#11 » Sun May 21, 2017 1:13 am

[quote="Tarnish"] 1: People didn't hate Sonic 2006 because it was an Adventure style game. They hated it because it was an incomplete, incompetent take on the Adventure style game.

Trust me I know that people hated it for being an insult to the SA formula, having broken gameplay, long load times, extreme moments of scripting, and bad design such as entering the left side of the loop-di-loop in Wave Ocean killing you or in Flame Core you hit a few B O U N C P A D S which take you to a boost pad, and you get hit by fire and there's no way to avoid it.

06 is pretty much why we are never getting it, people are still making YouTube videos TO THIS DAY bashing 06 and Sega is most likely seeing this stuff.

Also I like the boost because I find it cool to pick and choose when I want my speed. I'd rather build up momentum over time like in the Classic and Adventure games, but I do like being able to tap into it immediately, and it makes sense for Sonic as we've seen him do some boost-ish type of things before the concept existed. Like this one episode of Sonic X, I swear he was boosting once he had to be. The only time I really had a problem with the boost was in Colors where they nerfed it and made the game mostly blocky 2D, but that's just my opinion. Even if you don't like the boost you still have the Nighttime sections in Unleashed, and the Classic levels in Generations.

Soulcast
lithium

Post#12 » Thu May 25, 2017 12:22 pm

If a SA3 was ever greenlit, which characters would you like to play in the game other than Sonic? What kind of missions would you like to see?

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#13 » Fri May 26, 2017 6:18 pm

Iron Dreamcast wrote:Also I like the boost because I find it cool to pick and choose when I want my speed. I'd rather build up momentum over time like in the Classic and Adventure games, but I do like being able to tap into it immediately, and it makes sense for Sonic as we've seen him do some boost-ish type of things before the concept existed. Like this one episode of Sonic X, I swear he was boosting once he had to be. The only time I really had a problem with the boost was in Colors where they nerfed it and made the game mostly blocky 2D, but that's just my opinion. Even if you don't like the boost you still have the Nighttime sections in Unleashed, and the Classic levels in Generations.

I guess the reason I don't like the whole boost concept (besides making the game too easy by eliminating any skill requirement for maintaining speed) is that it eliminates any interaction/connection between Sonic and the terrain/environment he is running on. When using the boost, physics is thrown out the window. It dosen't matter if Sonic is on a horizontal plane, on a downward slope or if he's running upward a mountain at 75° or even 90°, it's pretty much "if boost is pressed, speed = maximum". Which at that point is not a Sonic game, it's an onrail running game. And also boosting is pretty much required, otherwise you can't get past certain sections because without boosting, Sonic is too sluggish. So you can't even say "well if you don't like it, just don't use it".

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#14 » Sun May 28, 2017 3:21 am

I'm not really surprised that Sega stuck with the boost mechanic. It fits perfectly with the general trend of games becoming glorified Sega CD FMV titles: you're watching a movie that requires a button press now and then, not playing a game, because playing games is "hard".

Sonic's Megasis outings are too difficult for modern "gamers" to play, because they expect everything to be easy, tutorials to appear every 10 seconds so they don't have to remember how to do anything, and to have the ability to pay a dollar to cheat whenever they want. That's why Mania had to be created as a side project by outside Sonic fan developers and not as a flagship Sonic game. The developers who knew how to create good Sonic games left the company, and the gamers who knew how to play those good Sonic games became the minority of the gaming public.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#15 » Sun May 28, 2017 4:26 am

Aleron Ives wrote:I'm not really surprised that Sega stuck with the boost mechanic. It fits perfectly with the general trend of games becoming glorified Sega CD FMV titles: you're watching a movie that requires a button press now and then, not playing a game, because playing games is "hard".

Sonic's Megasis outings are too difficult for modern "gamers" to play, because they expect everything to be easy, tutorials to appear every 10 seconds so they don't have to remember how to do anything, and to have the ability to pay a dollar to cheat whenever they want. That's why Mania had to be created as a side project by outside Sonic fan developers and not as a flagship Sonic game. The developers who knew how to create good Sonic games left the company, and the gamers who knew how to play those good Sonic games became the minority of the gaming public.

Not to be scolding them too much, but I think it also comes down to incompetence. Even when SEGA did 2D 'classic' style games that didn't use any boosting with Sonic 4 and the 'classic' part of Generations, they just couldn't nail it. Sonic 4 Ep 1 was terrible in every aspect, Ep 2 was a bit better but still nowhere near as good as the Genesis/Mega Drive games. Classic Sonic in Generations also felt awkward for me, it never behaved like I was expecting him to. It's probably my fault that after 25 years of player the classic Sonic games I expect him to control and behave a certain way..but still, when you think about it, they couldn't even replicate the physics they did on the Genesis/Mega Drive on a thousand times more advanced and powerful hardware. Then pelikan13 and Damizean comes along with Sonic Fan Remix that pretty much puts SEGA to shame in every aspect. That demo of a game nailed the feel and control way better than anything SEGA did in the last decade at least, and it was just a barebone demo. So it's not like it's not possible to recreate that physics and control nowadays..they're just incompetent imo.

Soulcast
lithium

Post#16 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:46 pm

I'd also be interested in a prequel game called Sonic Adventure Zero that will address the story behind the Chaos Soda billboards in SA and SA2. Sonic and friends will have to race against the clock to shut down evil Chaos Soda factories before Chaos become an endangered species.