Happy 25th Birthday, Sonic!

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
hudsthinking1999
Feet of Fury

Happy 25th Birthday, Sonic!

Post#1 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:11 am

Jeez, I feel old.

So, it's the 25th anniversary of the Sonic franchise. Wow. That's quite a feat. A lot of game characters came and went in the same decade, but Sonic somehow managed to stay alive through the generations and give us many great gaming experiences thorughout each one.

As for me, my first Sonc game was Sonic: Classic Collection for the Nintendo DS. One I figured out how to start the games, I was immediately hooked. Everywhere I went I took my DS and Sonic with me. I beat every game on the compilation, each with all Chaos Emeralds, and when I got bored, I looked up cheat codes on the Internet and did all sorts of crazy stuff with the games. I eventually went authentic and got a Genesis with Sonic 2, and a Dreamcast, annd eventually got Sonic Adventure for it, as well. I had a blast with both. I stayed up all night until 6 in the morning completing Sonic's story and Crazy Taxi. Very good times.

But ever since, the blue hedgehog is living in hard times, where even Nintendo is hardly recognizable by today's generation. Today, he's still a laughing stock, unfortuantely, because of the lackluster games that came out in the past few years. His latest game, Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric, was truly putrid, and is probably his worst title in history.

Even worse, at E3 2016, Sega revealed that the next big Sonic game will be a Sonic Boom sequel. Great.

Even though he has had a few major duds during his career, Sonic the Hedgehog has given us countless experiences of happiness, sadness, frustration, and above all, good, clean fun.

Thank you, Sonic Team, for all of the great games you gave us. We hope you continue to give us what you have given us in years past. Once again, thank you, very, very much.
"Sonic was never good, and if you disagree, you can call the cops."

-Some plebs at IGN

androiddreamcast
dirty sailor

Re: Happy 25th Birthday, Sonic!

Post#2 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:24 pm

I like sonic but I'm more of a crash bandicoot and spyro fan , I actually knew about and loved the sonic tv shows like sonic x and sonic underground as a kid before I started to play and take notice of the games my first sonic game was Mario and sonic at the olympic games on the DS i loved playing as Shadow , the second sonic game I played after than was the original ported to android a few years ago so I'm a bit late to the whole sonic thing . I've grow up in a generation where the only good sonic game was Sonic adventure 2 on the gamecube so you can't blame for ignoring the crap that came afterwards until generations and the two racing titles

hudsthinking1999
Feet of Fury

Re: Happy 25th Birthday, Sonic!

Post#3 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:36 pm

To be honest, I didn't really like Sonic Adventure 2. I mean, the Sonic/Shadow stages were fun, while a little linear, but the rest is mind-numbingly boring for me. I don't really like Tails' play style. I mean, a mech? Okay, I get it. He loves technology and building planes and stuff. But, really? I mean, come on. You made Tails playable on foot in the Chao World, but not in the stages? Now, that's what I call lazy. At least Eggman's makes sense, but it's still not very fun.

And Knuckles and Rouge's levels...just, don't even get me started. Well, first of all, the reason why I like the Knuckles stages in Sonic Adventure is because the stages are fairly confined and easy to explore through. But in SA2, most of his levels are much, much bigger than they should be. Also, in Sonic Adventure, the hint lights (Tikal) give you the direction in which the next emerald is located. SA2 has these in the form of those floating televisions, but the hints they give are too vague and don't give you a very good idea of where the emerald is. And with the radar, in SA1, it does the locations for all 3 emeralds at the same time, but in SA2, it's only one at a time. This is not a very good design.

Long story short, I think they were going somewhere with SA1, but threw some of the stuff out the window in SA2 that they should have kept.
"Sonic was never good, and if you disagree, you can call the cops."

-Some plebs at IGN