Official Sega Saturn NetLink Guide

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Xiden
Developer

Re: Official Sega Saturn NetLink VOIP Guide - SaturnPi

Post#171 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:45 am

Also you guys need to try duke nukem still too :D

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#172 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:28 am

Video uploaded, Bomberman for some reason looks way smother than it was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66xKiknr_tY

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#173 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:15 pm

Xiden wrote:Something you guys might try is rtp 0.030 for bomberman.. when me and hawk did it the lag was nearly gone lol. Its strange... maybe there are other things we can tweak? Have you tried compressed header? Do you guys other voip adapters would perform better?

That is something to give a shot, however there is a lot of stuff that will be happening on my end soon so i probably wont be free to set up another netlink match for a while :lol:

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#174 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:54 pm

Techno babble to follow:

I was doing some reading about the buffers and RTP settings. Apparently the smallest buffer the adapter will do is 10ms + the RTP packet size OR 30ms whichever is bigger. That means that 010 and 020 both have 30 ms of buffering and there shouldn't be any advantage to 010 over 020, except the adapter has to send twice as many packets at 010.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

Xiden
Developer

Post#175 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:32 am

If we can find an adapter that supports MOIP or a even better codec like g711.1 that would help too

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#176 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:54 pm

The problem is that there isn't any consumer equipment that supports MOIP. We could get something but we'd end up spending multiple hundreds of dollars (or get extremely lucky on ebay) and I don't think that's practical.

I don't mean to be a downer, but most of the problem is out of our control. Once the data is pushed onto the internet we are at the mercy of the ISPs routing and delay. When it takes 70-90 ms to get from point A to point B over the internet, shaving a couple ms here and there may help but it's not going to magically make things perfect. Adjusting the RTP packet size helps mostly with making sure a constant stream of audio is played back reliably. Increasing the size gives you more wiggle room for delay variation (jitter). That's why if there are problems, it often helps to increase it.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

Sonic1994DC
Carnage

Post#177 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:40 pm

Hey guys what are the best Voip adapters? I really would like to try this, I'm looking at this OBi200 1-Port VoIP Phone Adapter with Google Voice and Fax Support for Home and SOHO Phone Service would that work?

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#178 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:56 pm

just want to confirm before i pull the trigger...

This Is The One I Want To Get ?

Package Included:
Unlocked Linksys SPA1001 *1
5V Power Adapters *1

Xiden
Developer

Post#179 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:12 pm

HuntrRose wrote:just want to confirm before i pull the trigger...

This Is The One I Want To Get ?

Package Included:
Unlocked Linksys SPA1001 *1
5V Power Adapters *1

thats correct

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#180 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:40 pm

thanks!