Official Sega Saturn NetLink Guide

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Re: SaturnPi

Post#31 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:54 pm

I think your best bet is to try out two unlocked voip adapters (no need to emulate a phone line simulator). Set them up for direct IP dialing and enable modem pass-through mode. This will provide the least compression (essentially straight PCM audio) and lowest latency. It still might not be enough, but as far as I know, no one has tried it out.

I was going to try it out myself a few years ago, but VOIP boxes were still a little pricey for a project that might not pan out. Last I checked, they're dirt cheap on eBay but I don't have two Saturns anymore (still have two netlinks).

Good info on what modem pass-through mode does: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/io ... _psthr.pdf
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

Xiden
Developer

Post#32 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:25 pm

I've thought about that too, might try it some day lol. Ideally thought it would be nice if there was a voip solution for Ras pi :)

hawkzer0
dirty sailor

Post#33 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:46 pm

man if you guys get this to work i will be super stoked! I've been dying to use my netlink for 2 years now haha
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#34 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:01 pm

i will kill you all in V-On...

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#35 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:01 pm

just sayin...

:lol:

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#36 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:51 pm

Xiden wrote:I've thought about that too, might try it some day lol. Ideally thought it would be nice if there was a voip solution for Ras pi :)

That be ideal so you could have one do it all box but then you'd have to run some sort of VOIP program in the Pi, make sure your modem can be used either as an audio source or audio encoder, troubleshoot the whole thing etc. It would be easier to buy a dedicated piece of hardware for 15 bucks and eliminate some variables.

If you're serious about trying something out, I might be convinced to buy a VOIP adapter and help you test.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

Xerxes3rd
fire

Post#37 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:23 pm

You might be able to do PCM-over-IP like Cisco is doing if you can put the USB modem in voice receive and voice transmit modes at the same time, then sample the audio data into PCM and send it back and forth between the two modems. I'm not sure if the USB modem tries to throttle playback at all, though. If the Netlink modem allows blind dialing (in other words, doesn't need a dial tone), then that would simplify things as well.

Xiden
Developer

Post#38 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:37 pm

Xerxes3rd wrote:You might be able to do PCM-over-IP like Cisco is doing if you can put the USB modem in voice receive and voice transmit modes at the same time, then sample the audio data into PCM and send it back and forth between the two modems. I'm not sure if the USB modem tries to throttle playback at all, though. If the Netlink modem allows blind dialing (in other words, doesn't need a dial tone), then that would simplify things as well.

SEGA RPG FAN wrote:
Xiden wrote:I've thought about that too, might try it some day lol. Ideally thought it would be nice if there was a voip solution for Ras pi :)

That be ideal so you could have one do it all box but then you'd have to run some sort of VOIP program in the Pi, make sure your modem can be used either as an audio source or audio encoder, troubleshoot the whole thing etc. It would be easier to buy a dedicated piece of hardware for 15 bucks and eliminate some variables.

If you're serious about trying something out, I might be convinced to buy a VOIP adapter and help you test.

If you can point a good voip adapter out for me. I might invest if its not too expensive.

Also it looks like netlink does support blind dial. http://www.saturnleague.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=597 just have to alter modem string I think

M1 IRON SIGHTS
rebel

Post#39 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:28 pm

May I ask the point? How many people actually can afford the tiny netlink library such that there would be more than 1 or 2 people to play against? XBand would be far more interesting and accessible if anybody could remake the patches but realistically any spare funds or time would be best spent on Dreamcast, though it's not my favorite console either.

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#40 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:41 pm

I have all but daytona...