Currently in talks to financially sponsor select indie devs

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
MrMaxxSand
lithium

Currently in talks to financially sponsor select indie devs

Post#1 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:22 pm

Hello Dreamcast Talk. I have been around the Scene for a number of years but generally don't like to post in the communities often.

NOTICE: I am posting this simply to disclose that I am invested in privately funding DC games. My terms are straight forward: Game has to be completed within the foreseeable future AND have a screen in the intro or credits noting it was funded in part through private investment. That's it. PS: I take no percentage of money made from sales.

NOTICE2: Specific details surrounding deals with devs I make will NOT be divulged.

I recently became interested in the idea of sponsoring talented Dreamcast Scene devs or teams to help make their games a reality. After reaching out to several very talented devs in the community.

Post your thoughts below. I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

To reflect the updates I have made in the thread so far:

I am sponsoring Isotope Softworks(Hypertension: HoD) and Militia Studios(In The Line Of Fire)
Last edited by MrMaxxSand on Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Re: Currently in talks to financially sponsor select indie devs

Post#2 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:42 am

Sounds cool. Have you reached out to the team making hypertension?

Sent from my SCL21 using Tapatalk

MrMaxxSand
lithium

Post#3 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:06 am

@Nico0020. No sadly. I could not find a sufficient way to make contact with "Corbyn" from the Hypertension team

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Post#4 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:05 pm

MrMaxxSand wrote:@Nico0020. No sadly. I could not find a sufficient way to make contact with "Corbyn" from the Hypertension team

She is found in a lot of different forums.

Zdoom (you need to make an account there to PM her): http://forum.zdoom.org/memberlist.php?m ... ile&u=7420
Duke4: https://forums.duke4.net/user/4784-%26- ... 6-9829%3B/

She is also over here.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:51 pm

Yeah, I have been following Hypertension since 2009, and even beta tested for them for a little while. I would love to see it finished. They need all the help they can get.

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:14 pm

This is cool, I've thought of doing something similar for another system I am passionate about. If I cannot do it myself, the only way I'm going to incentivize someone to spend the time developing software that I want is with money. I've always been a little hesitant though, because what would be a lot of money for me (e.g., $1000 or $2000) is pretty minor in the lengthy video game development timeline. If you pay someone $1000 for a complicated project that will take them at least a year to do (such as a high quality indie game), that seed money is going to provide them less than $1/hour for the many hours spent planning, designing, programming and creating graphics/sfx/music etc. At the end of the project, if you would like a finished product that requires manufacturing, that will be a significant cost outlay which could be a couple thousand.

Not sure how you're doing the financing, but I might suggest from your standpoint, it could be best to tie any large payments to development milestones. That keeps the financed party motivated to work on stuff over a period of time, and also lessens the risk that you will plunk down a lot of money all at once and the financed party will make poor choices spending it or not allocate all of it to the project. It also lessens the risk that you will plunk down for complete vaporware, people trying to scam you and suggesting ideas that they do not have the ability, knowledge or resources to follow through on.

Since you're not recouping any of your cash outlay from the sales of the games, it seems you are more of a generous benefactor than an investor :) just saying.

Good luck!

Edit: After writing all this, I am reminded of this funny video that parodies what happens with underfunded/abandoned kickstarter games. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJQC0va2LX8

MrMaxxSand
lithium

Post#7 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:59 am

dark wrote:This is cool, I've thought of doing something similar for another system I am passionate about. If I cannot do it myself, the only way I'm going to incentivize someone to spend the time developing software that I want is with money. I've always been a little hesitant though, because what would be a lot of money for me (e.g., $1000 or $2000) is pretty minor in the lengthy video game development timeline. If you pay someone $1000 for a complicated project that will take them at least a year to do (such as a high quality indie game), that seed money is going to provide them less than $1/hour for the many hours spent planning, designing, programming and creating graphics/sfx/music etc. At the end of the project, if you would like a finished product that requires manufacturing, that will be a significant cost outlay which could be a couple thousand.

Not sure how you're doing the financing, but I might suggest from your standpoint, it could be best to tie any large payments to development milestones. That keeps the financed party motivated to work on stuff over a period of time, and also lessens the risk that you will plunk down a lot of money all at once and the financed party will make poor choices spending it or not allocate all of it to the project. It also lessens the risk that you will plunk down for complete vaporware, people trying to scam you and suggesting ideas that they do not have the ability, knowledge or resources to follow through on.

Since you're not recouping any of your cash outlay from the sales of the games, it seems you are more of a generous benefactor than an investor :) just saying.

Good luck!

Edit: After writing all this, I am reminded of this funny video that parodies what happens with underfunded/abandoned kickstarter games. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJQC0va2LX8

Yeah I have been wanting to do this for a while now but lacked the proper channels to make it happen Now i have a corporate account setup for this endeavor. As far as payemnts go, I don't usually give big amounts and instead do weekly payments of moderate amounts for the very reasons you listed. As far as production goes and publishing goes, I am not prepared or adequately suited for that, but there are several Dreamcast publishers such as GSP that are.

As far as not getting any money back from sales, I look at it this way: any money made off of sales will be minimal or nothing at all, so the devs deserve any money made at that point. My investment is solely to help see the game through to completion in the hopes that it makes it out onto the market for the community.

PS: if anyone knows how to get in touch with Corbyn (head developer of Hypertension: HoD), please let me know thanks

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:01 pm

Oh wow, she posted an update not a month back on their blog!

http://tdgmods.blogspot.com/

There is a link to their forums. She normally replies to any comments or questions people post on there so have at it.

Really excited to hear about their update they are planning.

MrMaxxSand
lithium

Post#9 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:45 am

Anthony817 wrote:Oh wow, she posted an update not a month back on their blog!

http://tdgmods.blogspot.com/

There is a link to their forums. She normally replies to any comments or questions people post on there so have at it.

Really excited to hear about their update they are planning.

Just a quick update: I made contact with Corbin. We had a nice chat and came to an agreement for some funding for Hypertension. Cannot disclose any specifics but definitely all positives

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#10 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:38 am

Awesome to hear!