USB Powered Lvi Modems Sale 10% Off!

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
TacT
Uber

USB Powered Lvi Modems Sale 10% Off!

Post#1 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:15 pm

All this trouble with people's batteries dying and cables breaking happened to me too and this adapter taking up another plug blah blah Thanks to some ideas I got from pcwzrd and kazade for this USB power lvi I wanted to make a more sturdy solution, instead of making another adapter why not build the lvi into the usb modem case itself

Introducing the DreamPi Usb Powered LVI Modem
no more messy wires adapters and dead batteries, powered by usb built into the modem itself use any phone cable you want. (doesn't work on PAL modems as far as I know NTSC Only)

WP_20160915_18_25_09_Pro.jpg

WP_20160915_18_28_47_Pro.jpg

Already have a modem? you can send me Your usb modem in the mail just $10.99 for the lvi mod and I'll send it back to you.
Or if you need to Buy A New Modem I'll charge you $10.99 plus the cost of ordering a new modem. and I'll send it to you USB Lvi Installed.
PayPal Only, US Shipping only (outside US would be too much shipping contact me if you want)

Since I don't really have a store to put up on a site and ebay would cost more and having modems in stock would cost more. Just contact me here if you want to get your DC Online!.

I don't really recommend people try this themselves because if you're not experienced in soldering this small space and a cheap solder pen that overheats you could break the usb modem, not that they are expensive lol. So Id rather just do it for you.
But maybe next ones I make I will document how to for those that want to try themselves.

WP_20161030_19_03_34_Pro_LI.jpg
Last edited by TacT on Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.

it's still thinking.

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Re: USB Powered Built in Lvi Modem

Post#2 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:46 pm

well played.. that looks sharp!

Xiden
Developer

Post#3 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:26 am

pretty dang awesome dude! I'll have to invest in one soon.

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#4 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:13 pm

Pm'ed you

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#5 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:19 am

Pretty nice, this is one of the things that I was going to experiment with a while back. It is exactly how I imagined it would look too :) I have another idea that I would like to try before modding my modem with a second USB cord coming out of it. If it goes well I will not need to have a cord attached to the phone line, but I do not want to risk my only Dreamcast modem and Dreamcast console playing with it yet. Maybe in a few months when I have more cash.
Nice work let us know if you experience anything abnormal from the pi or modem with this setup. I would also like to try the wireless that another user posted but I am just not motivated lately :(

TacT
Uber

Post#6 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:37 pm

Haven't had Any problems with it yet it held up great to 7 hour quake nights and even an old computer I hooked up with dialup worked great Tested it for a long while now and assuming there's never a problem with this usb 9v converter plug as long as it doesn't physically break something like the usb plugs wires or the phone jack but you'd have to bust it up pretty bad for that lol

it's still thinking.

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#7 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:05 pm

TacT
Uber

Post#8 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:29 pm

I used a cable but that looks like the same that's in my cable only adjustable I kinda like that better.

it's still thinking.

Farmhouse
lithium

Post#9 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:19 pm

Dang, that is sexy as hell!

TacT
Uber

Post#10 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:35 am

Glad you all like it =)
I could do one better and put the entire board into the usb modem case without 2 plugs sticking out, but its so much more work and I kinda like having a separate plug for power.

it's still thinking.