Vote for Dreamcast backwards compatibility to come to Xbox One/Scorpio

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
MrMaxxSand
lithium

Vote for Dreamcast backwards compatibility to come to Xbox One/Scorpio

Post#1 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:07 pm

As everyone knows, Microsoft is hard at work making the best Xbox 360 games backwards compatible, and Phil Spencer (current head of Xbox division) has expressed (like many fans) that Original Xbox BC may be coming soon as well.

Microsoft helped out ALOT on the Dreamcast, and gave Microsoft a ton of inspiration and ideas to make the Xbox. SEGA even supported the Xbox and despite it not happening, SEGA and M$ were in talks at one point to make dreamcast BC for the OG Xbox a thing. Anyways, it only seems fitting that Dreamcast games be made BC for Xbox, since it's almost in the same console family(DC, OGXBOX, X360, XONE).

Vote on the Xbox Uservoice site below to help convince Micrsoft into getting SEGA to make this happen!

https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/36318 ... mpatibilty

BaffleBlend
dark night

Re: Vote for Dreamcast backwards compatibility to come to Xbox One/Scorpio

Post#2 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:18 am

At this point, I don't think it's technologically possible. Even OXBox games are a big "maybe".

Besides, let's not forget the reason DC-to-OXbox was turned down in the first place; disagreement over whether online functions would be supported. Sega argued that they were essential, but Xbox wouldn't support it. Given that Sega themselves have long since stopped supporting DC online, yeah.
Can play online, but doesn't very often.

Avatar commissioned from Steven Borgers (here's his Tumblr and DeviantArt).

K0rN b4LL
fire

Post#3 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:30 am

Maybe begin offering some of the more popular titles as downloads?

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post#4 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:04 pm

I think at best you might get some downloadable titles, but even the ones that are available (with the exception of Under Defeat HD, which I don't know about) are mostly ported from a PC version of the game.

It's too bad really, with titles like Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia they could probably charge $20 each for a download and get a ton of buyers.

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#5 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:03 pm

Downloadable titles would be a good idea as they already developed an emulator to run DC images on xbox360 hardware (found in the Dreamcast Collection). I agree Shenmue would probably sell well as a downloadable title.

But backwards compatibility such as reading physical discs would be impossible. There would be no way that the the Xbox one's blu ray drive would know how to read the high density part of GD ROM's..and the security ring..And I doubt that there's any such thing as a disc drive that has up gradable firmware via a system update or anything like that.