Dreamcast repro vs official release

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Dreamcastboy
noob

Dreamcast repro vs official release

Post#1 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:14 pm

So I just came upon this
https://www.etsy.com/listing/473679771/ ... hgodDaAJJw

And there seem to be many more like this. As a collector myself, this really scares me as I honestly can't tell the difference between repro and original. Now the seller is nice enough to claim them as repro but what happens if someone tries to sell these repros as legitimate copies? What are some ways to tell the difference?

Xiden
Developer

Re: Dreamcast repro vs official release

Post#2 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:28 pm

The cds he printed on are just silver backed CD's. Plus if you examine the art work close enough you can tell a difference because scanners aren't 100% perfect. :)

But it is cool that he is disclosing that they are reproductions. Although since its not a GD-Rom its not a 1:1 reproduction

Wombat
Vagabond

Post#3 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:47 pm

I don't understand how these sellers keep on getting away with this, clearly they are selling plain ol' bootleg counterfeit copies.

I would be able to give the sellers a bit of sympathy if they offered the artwork as a free downloadable + download instructions on how to do this yourself, but they way they setup shop, its just filling up their pockets.

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#4 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:41 pm

I think some of the repros (?) Of unreleased games look good. Lick Gary on Flickr. His propeller arena looks good. And shenmue 2 ntsc artwork

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:58 pm

You might notice these repro/backup copies never come with manuals. The CDs are still CDRs so if you could see the data side that would be a dead giveaway. You might also notice on the label side, the ring of clear plastic around the center hole, sometimes this area says something like "memorex photo disc" in black letters which you might be able to see in a detailed photo. Also, I believe most authentic DC games had the artwork printed even in this area of the disc. You might also consider that if something is too good to be true, ie: one person selling $20 copies of many very rare games in perfect condition, that the games are not authentic.

For other systems there are other ways to tell. For example, sega CD games never ever came in DVD cases which did not exist at the time. US Sega Saturn games came in tall plastic jewelcases, etc. Again, repros of these, and repros of cartridge games, almost never come with a manual.

Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG

Post#6 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:45 pm

Yeah - I bought Volgarr the Viking from retrolabs. Its a high quality repro' - manual, inlay, disc. Very nice.
I got a psyvariar 2 repro' from Gary on flicker - the quality is not so good. Blurry artwork and text, no manual etc. But volgarr and propeller arena are worth getting as they were never released officially.

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#7 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:29 pm

Wombat wrote:I don't understand how these sellers keep on getting away with this, clearly they are selling plain ol' bootleg counterfeit copies.

I would be able to give the sellers a bit of sympathy if they offered the artwork as a free downloadable + download instructions on how to do this yourself, but they way they setup shop, its just filling up their pockets.

+1 :)