Would anyone attend a Dreamcast Event like Jagfest

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

DreamcastUK
brutal

Would anyone attend a Dreamcast Event like Jagfest

Post#1 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:43 am

Hi Guys

I've been thinking about this for sometime and I was wondering if any one would attend an event dedicated to the Sega Dreamcast.

It would basically be like Jagfest and would take place like once a year or few years, there will be Dreamcasts on display to play and for community sites (like this one) to meet up and chat in person and share their love of the Sega Dreamcast with one and other.

A number of years ago I used to run a clan called UKRockers (details here http://www.itsmuchmore.com/about-us) we attended gaming events and hosted a gaming event where we had a number of consoles Linked together or showcasing some of the games the console was remembered for and the Dreamcast was very popular with the crowds. (Linked F355 challenge was always fun)

I would be willing to hire a venue in my local town of Nottingham, UK and then kit out the place with everything related to Dreamcast, I will also contact local shops and also companies that take part in PlayExpo which happens yearly in Manchester, U.K. and other retro events that take place yearly throughout the UK to get them their and help out. (Even contact indie/home brew companies to have their own stall/section to sell their Dreamcast games)

I would like to do this and would also have a section where people can bring their own rigs (Dreamcasts) for lan gaming on games like Quake 3 Arena & F355 etc.

I don't think the first event would be a massive but more like a project but of course I will need help and volunteers to get it off the ground but think it could be as big as Jagfest which I would be happy with.
It may even work like Eurogamer (EGX) started and be part of an already established event and be a small part of that.

What you think as ..... It's Thinking ?

DreamcastUK
Online Games: PSO | Quake III Arena | Toy Racer | 4x4 Evo | Starlancer | Planet Ring | Maximum Pool

ItsMuchMore
Founder & Lead Editor

The Dreamcast Junkyard
YouTube Editor

Wombat
Vagabond

Re: Would anyone attend a Dreamcast Event like Jagfest

Post#2 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:26 pm

I like the idea, and depending on the size of the event I would seriously consider traveling to the UK for it. However a yearly recurring event would not be realistic if you want it to be something really special (in my opinion).

In order to make it worth our (the Dreamcast enthousiasts) while, there need to be some really special things going on. Ideally a couple of unreleased, non leaked, playable betas. With the right management and venue, this should not be that unrealistic (especially seeing how SEGA worked along with Pix'n Love new book and the 'Mega Drive Collected Works'-book by Rovo).

Depending on the progress by the almighty @petter3k (http://www.dcserv.org), having a tournament setup with 4vs4 AFO and 6-player Outtrigger would definitly help getting back those glory days :)

And as a cherry on top having one of the indie developers out there revealing their newest Dreamcast development, with footage.

DreamcastUK
brutal

Post#3 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:49 pm

Indeed!

The likely venue would be The Nation Video Game Arcade in Nottingham, UK (Venue Details here http://gamecity.org/visit/)

Of course the size of the event wouldn't be massive and I would have to speak with event organisers who ran or have run similar events/projects.

That is the idea I want it to be something special for people travel, unlikely to be a yearly thing maybe even a few years gap between them (Like Jagfest), tournaments would work well.

Indie devs showcasing their forthcoming games,betas and footage of their latest and greatest games.

This is all still in the 'dream'/development stages but talks are already starting to happen and will keep everyone posted and will welcome any help/advance and guidence to make this happen.

DreamcastUK
Online Games: PSO | Quake III Arena | Toy Racer | 4x4 Evo | Starlancer | Planet Ring | Maximum Pool

ItsMuchMore
Founder & Lead Editor

The Dreamcast Junkyard
YouTube Editor

Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG

Post#4 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:24 pm

I'm definitely interested. I live in Ireland. I would go to such an event. Keep us posted.
Currently quite a few DC games are being released each year- getting Ng dev team or hucast to display their wares would be worth trying.

Every two years could work. there is however quite a lot of activity in the dc scene. You should be able to fill the event with lot's of stuff.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:57 pm

I would love to fly out the US for something like this. Sigh :(
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post#6 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:46 am

I would definitely be interested in a DCon, but obviously getting out to the UK would be a challenge (though I want to go back there).

Stellaking
lithium

Post#7 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:21 am

Sounds cool. Might be worth hitting up the folks over at the Dreamcast Junkyard?
Maybe get the word out / gather support via their podcast

DreamcastUK
brutal

Post#8 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:37 pm

Stellaking wrote:Sounds cool. Might be worth hitting up the folks over at the Dreamcast Junkyard?
Maybe get the word out / gather support via their podcast

Thanks, that's a good shout!

We (When the gaming clan I ran known as UKRockers) were mentioned on Dreamcast Junkyard a few years ago when we made a Dreamcast promo video which can be found here http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/2006/05/empty-handed.html?m=1

Might see if other forums/sites are also interested, but will have some conversations with venues and other sites/companies that host similar sort of things :)

ItsMuchMore
Founder & Lead Editor

The Dreamcast Junkyard
YouTube Editor

Dreamcast_Ninja
dark night

Post#9 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:22 pm

If there's one in northern California or Bay area then yes.

Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG

Post#10 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:00 pm

If we can make it happen in the Uk or europe them I'm in. It would be cool to go to the usa but I doubt i'll have that kind of money for the foreseeable future.