Your First Dreamcast Experience

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Dbarker89
undertow

Your First Dreamcast Experience

Post#1 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:43 pm

Christmas Day, 1999. I open a present to see a blue & white box with a blue swirl icon. At the age of 10 I had heard about the Dreamcast but it didn't click in my mind at first until my older brother urged me to open another present.

The next box was House of the Dead 2 including a light gun, the first Dreamcast game I ever played. That Christmas I received House of the Dead, Soul Caliber and Sonic Adventure.

When we first fired it up the Dreamcast, I played alongside my brother, shooting zombies while my parents looked on sharing the excitement.

Soul Caliber took my breathe away and Sonic looked so flipping cool!

Now I am 27 and look back at that Christmas fondly. I did receive other lovely gifts but my family got me the Dreamcast to make me feel special and I certainly did :)

What are your first experiences?

androiddreamcast
dirty sailor

Re: Your First Dreamcast Experience

Post#2 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:34 pm

My first experience with an actual dreamcast is yet to occur although I've been playing dreamcast games via emulation for about a year. I'm 18 and was very young when the dreamcast was on the market and only found out about it in 2012 . So I recently discovered it's such an amazing system , I always though the first online console was the original xbox so when I found out about the dreamcast having online connectivity in 98/99 that combined with it's bespoke 1GB GD ROM and bleem ps1 emulation ( with better resolution than ps1 games on ps2) blew my mind. Although I do seem to remember the old Arsenal football/soccer kits with the dreamcast/SEGA home and away sponsorship of their shirts.

http://www.premierleague.com/content/da ... margin.png

ch0pzta
GD-ROM

Post#3 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:55 pm

The year was 2000, i was 15.

Being bored with my N64 after a few years of hardcore gaming, i was looking for something new, heard about the Dreamcast and found my local Harvey Norman store had one with 4 games on the shelf (Tee off golf, WWF Attitude, Sonic, can't remember 4th), i went back there a few times to look at it, pondering whether I should get it or not. At this stage I thought it could play DVDs, so that was a big factor in wanting one too.

I asked the guy there if it played DVDs and he said no I don't think so. I lost interest a bit and ended up buying a DVD player instead.

A few months later my family were away on holidays, and I found a huge Dreamcast display at an Electronics Boutique store, heaps of games, i was very tempted but resisted.

Later that day we were at the motel and i thought "stuff it, I want one", so i walked back to the shopping center, and bought a console with 3 games (RECV, Sonic, Crazy Taxi), went back to motel and played it for hours. Went back the next day and bought a VMU.

That was August 2000, by the end of September I had it connected to the internet, spent ungodly amount of hours talking to people in the Aussie Dreamcast chat room on it, got into Quake 3 online and spent a lot of time playing it (a few times i passed the 8 hour connection limit), delved into most of the other online games, including Unreal Tournament, PSO, 4x4, Outrigger, Alien Front Online, one of the NBA games, a couple more i think, played all the classics, but left the online scene around 2003/2004, still played it every now and then until January 2014 when I discovered this place and the fact Q3 and PSO were still playable online, bought a BBA straight away, and you guys know the rest!

Best console ever.
Current online Dreamcast games:
Quake 3 Arena - -ch0pzta>
Phantasy Star Online (Version 2) - ch0pzta - HUmar - YELLOWBOZE Lv60-odd

ch0pzta
GD-ROM

Post#4 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:06 pm

Quake 3 back then was mind blowing to me, the ability to play against real people all over the world was incredible.

We had around 30 regular Aussie players, and back then Q3 clans were a big thing, there were a few Aussie clans, i started one that evolved a few times, but the majority of players on Q3 had some kind of clan tag blinking in their username, great fun.

For Aussie Dreamcast players, we were stuck with 33k dialup and playing on Seganet servers, we got the best speeds on Seganet LA (due to geographical location) but even then our speeds were just above the very lowest red on the ingame bar, we are talking 600+ms, and a lot of us were control pad only, so we were really at a disadvantage against USA players, but we became better players because of it.

We would spend hours looking all over the maps finding ledges and secret stuff to hide on, thats why you guys might see me hiding in odd spots sometimes haha I think i know most of them.

They were really fun times back then, sometimes 100 people online at once.

Im having an absolute blast playing it again with you guys.
Current online Dreamcast games:
Quake 3 Arena - -ch0pzta>
Phantasy Star Online (Version 2) - ch0pzta - HUmar - YELLOWBOZE Lv60-odd

Dbarker89
undertow

Post#5 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:54 pm

We had Electronic Boutique here in the UK as well, that name brings back memories. Wished I had internet back then, hoping to jam with you guys soon.

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post#6 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:22 pm

My first experience was sometime in 2000 (maybe even 1999) my next door neighboor/best friend got one very early. We swore NFL 2k looked photorealistic. The replays actually made some people at his place do a double take before realizing it was a video game.

Our family soon moved away, but I wanted one of those so bad, plus as a person who regularly went to Sega's website, I was seeing so much awesome Dreamcast 24/7. Ok, more like an hour a week, because we had one computer and stuff.

So in around 2002-03, I finally had some money, plus EB Games was selling a DC plus a game for $30. We walked there, and went to the counter "I'd like to buy a Sega Dreamcast, sir!" But...they didn't have one in stock, so they had to get one from a different store. I was a little upset, because well I didn't get to get my Dreamcast. But then the guy asked me if I wanted the white one or the black one. I'd done my research, so I knew the black was the limited edition Sega Sports model. I said black obviously.

So I spent the whole night thinking about my new Dreamcast. Then I had a nightmare that instead of a Dreamcast they'd brought over a Saturn instead (I was a stupid child). I finally got my DC and a game they had in stock (I think either Sonic Adventure or Crazy Taxi). Over the next couple years I got about 30 more games, mostly because in 03-04 Gamestop was almost giving the games away (I distinctly remember seeing a buy 1 get 3 free sale).

RXShorty
photon blast

Post#7 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:30 pm

It was at a small local game shop...
The Dreamcast was standing there running Ecco the Dolphin.

The game had such good graphics my younger brother and my dad where hooked at the small game shop.
Played for over a hour and eventually we got one.

That first Dreamcast is still my main Dreamcast...
Bought a new 4k TV and now waiting on my XRGB-mini Framemeister to use it on my new TV...
DreamOn!

Soulcast
lithium

Post#8 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:03 pm

I grew up a Virtua Fighter fan starting with VF2 on the PC. I was already planning on getting a DC just from VF3TB. Imagine my surprise when an issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly rumored a "Virtua Fighter RPG" that was slated to arrive for the DC and with the main protagonist as Akira Yuki. Granted, I read this out of the "Rumor Mill" section of EGM, so naturally, I thought they were bullshittin, until similar rumors surfaced in both Gampro and Gamespot.

Screenshots for Shenmue soon arrived in later issues of EGM and Gampro and they looked amazing(at that time). So I have saved up my money, and purchased both a DC and my copy of Shenmue, and along with it, Soul Calibur and Crazy Taxi.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#9 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:26 pm

resease day:

I wasn't gonna buy it the first day due do money issues (gamers always seem to have 'em :lol: ), but...in the evening a friend shows up at my door with this huge sack...saying he has something that might interest me, so he opens the sack and pulls out...EVERYTHING!!!

He had actually bought a Dreamcast with everything it had to offer on release day; all the games, gun, vmu, etc...

Said he tried it all but it's not really his cup of tea, being an avid Nintendo fan and he actually wanted to buy a new guitar, etc... then he says I can have it all for half the price he paid...I mean all that shit was 2 or 3 hours old!!! :lol: :lol:

Obviously I went to the bank to get what little money I had and bought it all :mrgreen:
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

krssn
Metallic

Post#10 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:11 pm

Dreamcast on launch day for 7000 BEF. You lucky lucky bastard...

It's funny how these things sometimes start out of nothing, only to completely grow out of proportion over time.

Reminds me of how I started my MCD collection.

Never had the intention of buying one. But then I saw this ad on a local secondhand site where someone was selling a mixed lot with stuff spanning different consoles. There wasn't even a MCD mentioned in it, but the guy just kept on putting more and more stuff in there, and at some point also a boxed MCD. In the end I left with a humongous box filled to the brim for the shamefully low price of €50. I came home, looked up some info on the library, saw it was only a 100-ish games, and said, "fuck it, I'm going for a full collection."

Little did I know at that time how expensive that decision would turn out to be... :?

And eight years later the only one still missing is Syndicate. But I'm all outta kidney's now... :lol: