DreamPi + 3G/4G

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Jako
Sunday Shootout

DreamPi + 3G/4G

Post#1 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:18 pm

Hi all!!!
I have a friend that loves the Dreamcast, she have another retro consoles, but not internet at home, like me, never played online before with a console. The plan was to connect DreamPi via wifi to her Android Interet Sharing, and works fine!!!

But there is the only problem, the port forwarding, i enabled some ports on the phone and dont work, worse, the DC not connect to nothing. But other games disabling port forwarding works fine. I prefer to try to do Dmz, but dont know how in a Android Device.

Someone tried the same?

Thanks in advance!!!
Be Dreamcast My Friend!!!

hawkzer0
dirty sailor

Re: DreamPi + 3G/4G

Post#2 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:55 pm

i recently had tried this with a mobile hotspot with limited success. i could connect to the pso servers for example, but the way mobile networks handle p2p traffic and the data packets caused me lots of problems with my save being corrupted, unable to join a block if there were already others there, etc.

which games has your friend tested that work fine?
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#3 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:03 pm

hawkzer0 wrote:caused me lots of problems with my save being corrupted, unable to join a block if there were already others there, etc.

Same here. I tried it once and almost lost my character. It seemed to work perfectly initially and then I just randomly got disconnected and couldn't get back on. My save file got corrupted as well but luckily I had a backup.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

hawkzer0
dirty sailor

Post#4 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:24 pm

fatmar strikes again! lol
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Jako
Sunday Shootout

Post#5 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:36 pm

Omg!!! I tested PSO, but ot enough to save, i had backup too, ufff.
Other tested succesfully connected games without play with anybody was:

ChuChuRocket
Next Tetris
Worms, i saw the rooms only.
Planet Ring, Rooms full due to lack of port forwarding.

But maybe it will fails in play. Tomorrow i will test again with it.

Thanks for the advice!!! ;-)
Be Dreamcast My Friend!!!

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#6 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:41 pm

I suppose there's nothing to worry about with the other games. PSO is the only one that has a real risk since there's a possibility of corrupting your save. If the other games work then that's cool.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

BLueSS
dark night

Post#7 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:01 pm

hawkzer0 wrote:i recently had tried this with a mobile hotspot with limited success. i could connect to the pso servers for example, but the way mobile networks handle p2p traffic and the data packets

Hey hawkzer0, do you have more specific details as to how your hotspot was treating your traffic differently?

EDIT: I did some quick research about how most carriers handle hotspot traffic. Most are heavily NAT'ed and block incoming ports/random ports that would be used for multiplayer situations. I may still try it with my T-Mobile line soon for kicks, but not expecting much.