Issues Connecting with PSOv2 HELP!

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

DuffMan757
shadow

Issues Connecting with PSOv2 HELP!

Post#1 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:23 pm

So I purchased a Dreampi Kit from PCWizard and got everything setup and it seems to be working off and on. I have a legit copy of US PSOv2 but I use the IVES PATCHED ENHANCED VERSION to Connect and Play. My DreamPi has no trouble at all dialing up and connecting and has internet access via Planet Web Browser. But seem like im having intermittent issues when connecting to the PSO Server, it will dialup and connect but it will just hang showing the PSO lobby background and I will not get the ship select screen at all. I have successfully got on befor with no problems maybe like a total of 3 times in the last week but now it seems to do it all the time! Thought it could be a DMZ issue but I have used 3 different routers (Apple Time Capsule, Netgear, TP-Link) so far with the DMZ setup properly with the dreamcast IP of x.x.x.98 but still the same issue. I have searched all the forums and have seen ppl with similar issues but the threads offer no help. I can see the Dreamcast IP (x.x.x.98) tagged with the MAC of the DreamPi in the ARP List in the router config so its def connected with the proper ip. Any advise would be greatly appreciated ! I just want to play some PSOv2 ..sadface

Did some reading seem like PSO doesn't even need a DMZ setup to play?

Things I have tried to no avail:
Swapped Routers (Turned Off/ Disabled Security Firewall as well thinking it Ports being blocked) still no joy
Formatted and Reloaded SD Card with DreamPi Image 1.6
Swapped out Ethernet cables

Also using a USB LVI if that makes any difference ....

Also have power cycled everything (Dreamcast, DreamPi, Router, Switch, Cable Modem) multiple times.

Tried using the PSO Patcher Disc w/ Legit Copy of PSOv2 with no success

DuffMan757
shadow

Re: Issues Connecting with PSOv2 HELP!

Post#2 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:54 pm

So looks like it common for routers to still block traffic from certain ports even if you have a DMZ and/or Port Forwarding setup? ...is it the router at fault here or the modem/ISP? ...seeing that I have tested three brands of router and still have the same issue leads me more to the Cable Modem / ISP which in my case is Cox Communications. Anyone here use Cox and having similar issues? my next step would be to take my setup (Dreamcast, DreamPi, Router) over to a buddy house who has Verizon FIOS to see if I have the same issue to really pinpoint this problem and if that still doesn't work maybe replace the dreamcast 56k modem?? This is really starting to be a headache.

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#3 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:44 pm

Not that it's super helpful, but you should be able to connect to the server without any port forwarding or DMZ. You'll need one of those two configured for playing in a team, but for just connecting it's not needed. Disable DMZ and port forwarding and see if anything changes. If you can connect then something is getting messed up due to your settings.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#4 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:49 pm

PSO does not require port forwarding at any time, so using DMZ has no effect on anything. Have you checked the MTU of your routers? IIRC it should be 1400, or PSO doesn't like it...
"Fear the HUnewearl."

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#5 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:33 am

Well the main question is can you connect to any other games or use the internet browser?
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

DuffMan757
shadow

Post#6 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:04 am

Thanks for the replys guys!

@RPG Fan ..Tryed disable all DMZ and Port Forwarding (Tested this on all 3 diffrent routers) with no avail still same issue just hangs at the PSO Lobby background with no ship select screen.

@Ives ..So tryed the MTU Setting you mentioned (Apple Time Capsule had no such option) (Netgear and TP-Links had this option under WAN Settings the default value was 1500 and i changed it to 1400 still same issue on both routers :-( even tryed setting it to 1300 just for shits and giggles still same issue.

@Teamcast ..Internet Browsers (XDP and Planet Web 2.6x) connect just fine and i can load web pages all day with no issues, web page loading time are average for 56k speeds. I will try and download the CDIs and burn the other Online Games today and give them a try and report back.

Also tryed updating all the routers firmware to the latest and greatest and set my network up for the common default network address sheme (192.168.1.x) thinking the DreamPi was picky about what network portion is was on but still same issue..

DreamPi is connected via ethernet if i havent mentioned that already.

Also on Dreamcast Now its shows im online and playing PSO when im just hung up at the PSO Lobby background with no ship select screen. So i must be communicating with something..

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#7 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:31 pm

The only thing I can think of is you have some kind of conflict in your DNS settings

Use DNS 46.101.91.123 for DNS1 and DNS2

If you can browse webpages then it doesn't have much to do with the Pi. That's a head scratcher for me

You mentioned 3 different routers, are these routers connected to a main router, or is this the one router in the LAN?
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

DuffMan757
shadow

Post#8 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:58 pm

@Teamcast Yea ill try switching the DNS2 from 8.8.8.8 to 46.101.91.123 and see what happens. Just one router in the LAN (Just swapping the one out with other ones i have laying around the house for trubleshooting purposes)

Ill report back the result.
Thanks!

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#9 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:12 pm

I would suggest eliminating all of the routers and trying to connect the DreamPi directly to your DSL/Cable modem. If you can connect that way, then you know the routers are the problem. You'll probably have to change your TCP/IP settings to match what the modem wants, though.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

DuffMan757
shadow

Post#10 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:57 pm

@Teamcast So i tested all the other online games and i can connect just fine and play only thing i can notice is with AFO the i get the pop up in game that its "trying to re-connect" alot is this normal? I did notice in one of the game "Toy Racer or AFO" it show how fast the modems connects after it dials up and is 26600? Seems slow to me for a direct connected phone cable. i know you never get true 56k but it should be something better i would think. Also tried the DNS you mentions. Tryed 46.101.91.123 for DNS1 and DNS2 still did the same thing. Tried putting 0.0.0.0 for both DNS1 and DNS2 to make it AUTOMATIC and still didn't work.

@Ives Tryed hooking the DreamPi directly to the cable modem and it cannot get online at all probably b/c i need to change the Pi IP Settings but i am unsure what the commands are to do it.

Also got a buddys old dreamcast and swapped the 56k modems wih mine and still did the dame thing in PSO just hung at the lobby background.

Think i should buy another LVI and/or USB modem maybe im getting packet loss between the DreamPi and the dreamcast?

Im really stumped at this point all the other games work except for PSO and thats suppose to be the easy one!