[Solved] Need help getting online

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Slurmking
lithium

Re: Need help getting online

Post#11 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:59 am

Yes both modem lights do come on. I feel like the picture atleast showed that but I will re-upload. The modem I got was. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037 ... UTF8&psc=1 the problem that I think is that my dad has a hardline phone using .99 and it cant be changed (He refuses) Is there a text file I can edit to change the IP it is trying to use?

ps sorry for late response, been sick

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#12 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:19 am

When you dial a connection, does one of the modem lights shut off briefly?
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Xiden
Developer

Post#13 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:30 am

it can be changed from .99 to something else, but I dont remember the exact file location and im not at home to look. If you're near your pi now you browse through the folders, I think there is a dreamcast folder or file which has the .99 .98 you can modify to something else. I'm sorry I dont recall the exact location

Slurmking
lithium

Post#14 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:47 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:When you dial a connection, does one of the modem lights shut off briefly?

No the lights both stay on constantly

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#15 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:06 pm

Slurmking wrote:No the lights both stay on constantly

I'm guessing the problem is either with the USB modem, Dreamcast modem, or line voltage inducer since the Pi itself looks like it's booting up normally. It looks like you're using one of my line voltage inducers so if you want, I can send you another one so you can see if that's the issue. If not, you can just send it back to me. Send me an email or a PM on here if you want to do that. If that doesn't solve the problem then it's going to be one of the modems.

Oh and this may be a stupid question but do you have the USB cable from the line voltage inducer plugged into the Pi? Just want to make sure.
PSO Characters:

Slurmking
lithium

Post#16 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:34 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:
Slurmking wrote:No the lights both stay on constantly

I'm guessing the problem is either with the USB modem, Dreamcast modem, or line voltage inducer since the Pi itself looks like it's booting up normally. It looks like you're using one of my line voltage inducers so if you want, I can send you another one so you can see if that's the issue. If not, you can just send it back to me. Send me an email or a PM on here if you want to do that. If that doesn't solve the problem then it's going to be one of the modems.

Oh and this may be a stupid question but do you have the USB cable from the line voltage inducer plugged into the Pi? Just want to make sure.

First of all yes this is one of your line voltage inducers, but I might want to try other troubleshooting steps as I have multiple dreamcasts I can swap out the modem. Can you recommend a good usb modem? I'll buy that and try it out. If all else fails I can send you back the cable.
(also yes this line voltage inducer is plugged into the pi)

Kurasiu
fire

Post#17 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:35 am

Sounds kinda like the problem I had, where my Pi/Dreamcast started failing to connect all the time (and all of sudden). After numerous tinkering, building another line inducer and (almost) buying a new USB modem, it turned out my DC modem bit the dust - after swapping it with another one everything worked fine. If you have multiple modems you might want to swap them and try again.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#18 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:44 am

Slurmking wrote:First of all yes this is one of your line voltage inducers, but I might want to try other troubleshooting steps as I have multiple dreamcasts I can swap out the modem. Can you recommend a good usb modem? I'll buy that and try it out. If all else fails I can send you back the cable.

Are you sure? The cost to ship a new cable is a lot less than a new USB modem. I figure it would be best to go with the cheaper option first. If the LVI is ruled out, you can just ship the cable back to me and try a new USB modem next.

If you decide to try a new USB modem first, the Dell NW147 is the one to go with. That's what most of us use.

I would definitely try swapping out the Dreamcast modem first though since you have spares.
PSO Characters:

Djgates06
shadow

Post#19 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:57 pm

Slurmking wrote:My setup is the USB line voltage inducer and the dell modem, the error I get is no help "Can't connect to the internet"
does the ARP commands at the bottom mean anything is failing because I don't seem them on anyone else's screenshots

im also having same issue i cant connect online says no dial tone and no lights are on my usb modem included with line voltage induer that i got from dreamcast live shop.

Xiden
Developer

Post#20 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:35 pm

Djgates06 wrote:
Slurmking wrote:My setup is the USB line voltage inducer and the dell modem, the error I get is no help "Can't connect to the internet"
does the ARP commands at the bottom mean anything is failing because I don't seem them on anyone else's screenshots

im also having same issue i cant connect online says no dial tone and no lights are on my usb modem included with line voltage induer that i got from dreamcast live shop.

Send a PM to pcwzrd13, could possibly be faulty modem but he can help ya troubleshoot.
Have you tried different USB ports on the Pi?