A simpler way to connect Dreamcast to internet?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Sushi VII
noob

A simpler way to connect Dreamcast to internet?

Post#1 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:32 am

So I got out my Dreamcast and started playing my old Dreamcast games, took out my old Xbox to played PSO (didnt have it for Dreamcast), then remembered hearing about Dreamcast PSO servers being brought back online.

I bought PSO for Dreamcast and it is in beatiful like-new condition, then stopped in my tracks because I no longer have a dial up modem.

I read on the forums how to get the Dreamcast connected to the internet but it looks way too complicated and time consuming.

So I must ask:

Wouldnt getting a plug-in adapter with the male side being the smaller square plug, and the female end an ethernet port, and connecting it with an ethernet cable to my router work? Or does it require/only work with dial-up?

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Re: A simpler way to connect Dreamcast to internet?

Post#2 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:29 am

does a 3/4 wrench work on a 1/8 bolt?? :lol:

in short: no

get a dreampi, it's basically plug & play and you have access to all the games that are online
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#3 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:50 am

Sushi Vii wrote:Wouldnt getting a plug-in adapter with the male side being the smaller square plug, and the female end an ethernet port, and connecting it with an ethernet cable to my router work? Or does it require/only work with dial-up?

If it was that simple don't you think we'd all be doing that? Just because two things can physically connect doesnt mean they'll work. I can put water in my gas tank, doesn't mean my car will run. Dreampi is as simple as you're going to get and the simplest it's been in years.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

ncman071
Sunday Shootout

Post#4 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:22 am

I am as tech illiterate as they come and even I think the dreampi is really simple to use...its an awesome device for the dc

Sushi VII
noob

Post#5 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:31 am

Well Ive watched videos and looked around about DreamPi. Theres all these different boxes and capacitors, things mentioned to do on computer.

I work on cars mechanically, and also do all electrical work with the wiring, ecu, tuning, and splicing, but the DreamPi stuff looks way too complicated. I think Ill just buy an overpriced Broadband Adapter.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#6 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:31 am

how is it too complicated? you plug one side in your DC & the other one in your router & it works...seriously...

but you can go with a bba if you want, mind though that it only lets you play a fraction of the games, as they are not all bba compatible
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Xiden
Developer

Post#7 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:32 am

Sushi VII wrote:Well Ive watched videos and looked around about DreamPi. Theres all these different boxes and capacitors, things mentioned to do on computer.

I work on cars mechanically, and also do all electrical work with the wiring, ecu, tuning, and splicing, but the DreamPi stuff looks way too complicated. I think Ill just buy an overpriced Broadband Adapter.

You can buy an already made dreampi from PCWizard :) on dreamcastlive.net

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:18 pm

Here =} So then it'll be jus two things behind your Dreamcast doing the work

Get that , Raspberry Pi 3 (got mine $50 from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C6EQNNK) , micro-SD card , burn browser disc to set the DNS

It's all plug n play

Maliki
lithium

Post#9 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:58 pm

If you are doing complex critical stuff like ecu looms and tuning, this should be a cakewalk! =)

Nothing different there except you do your normal splicing with something other than a second wire in between whatever wire you split (just how you would a switch, but there is not switching -- or whatever other load you put in series).

The Dreampi install is a one click install, the rest is plug and play (That will rarely happen with tuning). Aside from a setting or two on your router. Which people on the chat would help walk you through I'm sure ^_^
Kurupt FM wif a K like... 108.9 on ya dial u mugz <3

Sushi VII
noob

Post#10 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:18 am

Interesting. Looks quite easier than what I was reading about. Buying the whole kit looks ideal. I already have the actual dreamcast web browser discs and another still unopened somewhere. Never got rid of them. Ill have to wait before buying since I already spent $80+ on dreamcast and Phantasy Star related things.

Thanks for all your input everyone it is much appreciated.