US Robotics USB Modem

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Brian172
shadow

US Robotics USB Modem

Post#1 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:47 pm

Hi everyone,

New to the forum, and unfortunately my first post is asking for some help trouble shooting.

I have purchased a Raspberry Pi 3 and made my own voltage inducer and all seems ok. got the Dream pi image loaded on to the RPI
But i am having a lot of trouble actually connecting to the internet.

Firstly, is anyone else using a US Robotics 5637 USB external modem with any success?
Secondly, i know my DreamPi is connected to my network successfully, i can see it on my network sitting at .202
I have two lights on the modem, power is constant and data blinks quickly.

when i run "Sudo wvdialconf /def/null" i get the following message:
20170401_222316.jpg

any help would be greatly appreciated, i have searched the forum to see if others have had similar problems, and its pointing towards the modem.
i just want to now if there is a sure fire way of knowing my modem is not compatiable, or if im just doing something stupid.

Really looking forward to getting MY DC back online, its been too long :D
Pso
Griggs / RAmar / lvl 41
Dreaming since 1999

Xiden
Developer

Re: US Robotics USB Modem

Post#2 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:52 am

Brian172 wrote:Hi everyone,

New to the forum, and unfortunately my first post is asking for some help trouble shooting.

I have purchased a Raspberry Pi 3 and made my own voltage inducer and all seems ok. got the Dream pi image loaded on to the RPI
But i am having a lot of trouble actually connecting to the internet.

Firstly, is anyone else using a US Robotics 5637 USB external modem with any success?
Secondly, i know my DreamPi is connected to my network successfully, i can see it on my network sitting at .202
I have two lights on the modem, power is constant and data blinks quickly.

when i run "Sudo wvdialconf /def/null" i get the following message:
20170401_222316.jpg

any help would be greatly appreciated, i have searched the forum to see if others have had similar problems, and its pointing towards the modem.
i just want to now if there is a sure fire way of knowing my modem is not compatiable, or if im just doing something stupid.

Really looking forward to getting MY DC back online, its been too long :D

First off welcome to the forums! I assume you have dreampi 1.6 flashed to your dreampi? Im not entirely sure your modem is compatible and making it compatable could be a pain. I highly highly recommend buying your modem from Tact viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9753. He also builds the lvi into the modem so its nice and clean. Take it from me to save yourself hours of frustration and get his modem. Or at the very least a dell usb 56k modem from ebay just cause we know for a fact they are compatible :) looking forward to seeing you online!

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#3 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:49 am

TacT's modems are top of the line modifications that look like a factory-made product and he tests them prior to shipping it out to you. Also, if there is a problem, he will be glad to work it out with you. It's worth saving the headache this can cause you.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Brian172
shadow

Post#4 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:03 am

Hi,
Yes I have dreampi 1.6 flashed to the memory card.
After a bit more searching on here, and checking my sys log, it seems the modem I have isn't compatible without altering the code of the dreampi image as far as I can see.
The modem is seen, but there is some sort of conflict on how it sees the dial tone. It connects and answers and then immediately terminates.
Another member has actually got it working, but they ended up changing code I think.
That's a bit beyond me to be honest, without some sort of very simple guide.
I've actually quite enjoyed messing around with the raspberry pi and learning haha.
I'll have a look at the link you have posted for the modem.

Many thanks for the help and I look forward to getting back online.

Remember getting my dreamcast all those years ago in 1999, and never thought I'd still be playing it all these years later haha.

Thanks again.
Pso
Griggs / RAmar / lvl 41
Dreaming since 1999

Maliki
lithium

Post#5 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:02 pm

Bob Dobbs wrote:TacT's modems are top of the line modifications that look like a factory-made product and he tests them prior to shipping it out to you. Also, if there is a problem, he will be glad to work it out with you.

I second this, definitely a good buy.
Kurupt FM wif a K like... 108.9 on ya dial u mugz <3

hawkzer0
dirty sailor

Post#6 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:27 pm

sorry your having trouble with your model! have you tried reflashing the dreampi image?
while ive never tried that model, i always used a us robotics usb fax modem model 3095 with my dreampi without any modifications to the code. Before that i used a very old and bulky us robotics modem with a pc-dc server back in the day. im

In any case, I reccommend one of tacts modems as it is the simplest option
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

hosler
noob

Post#7 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:03 pm

im having some issues with this modem too. all the lights go blinky blinky but no worky. i have tried both traditional pcdc server and the dreampi.

right now im using a winmodem driven by windows. i link the windows com port to linux vm com port and it all works fine, but i would rather use the dream pi stuff because it's awesome.

i havent gotten around to looking at logs to try to debug the usrobotics issue yet. in fact i would rather just throw money at the problem. can anyone link me to a modem that will work and also not require a voltage inducer? my dreamcast modem doesnt need one and i really dont want to make one.