So surprised at how active DC PSO still is...

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

DiZMeX
shadow

So surprised at how active DC PSO still is...

Post#1 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:12 am

Basically my gaming is taking a massive nostalgia trip lately, and it's lead to me getting my Dreamcast out and hooking it up via VGA. Anyway I've been playing through some of the fantastic Dreamcast titles, some of which I was too young to finish / fully understand at the time of playing. Gonna play through the Sonics again (finished the first), playing a lot of Capcom fighters and will play the full Shenmue series soon which I don't think I actually ever finished when I was young.

Anyway I stumbled across my PSO disk which I haven't touched since it officially went down in 2008 (and even then I fully stopped playing it in about 2006 I think, I only broke it out again during the final hours in 08. I did some Googling, found this community, Sylverant etc, and multiple phone cables and extensions long enough to go from my Dreamcast to the phone jack.

TL;DR
I only played a couple hours, about 12 people were on. I didn't have my keyboard annoyingly (didn't bring it from the loft, didn't plan to play PSO), and I even met a lv.1 actual genuine new player. What the hell, right?

Basically, the Dreamcast isn't going anywhere, anytime soon. I'm going to make a DreamPi and find that damn keyboard so I can get this thing back online permanently. I would have stayed longer, but I've moved back in with the parents for time being after uni (yeah I know), and "what's this wire doing here and why's the phone unplugged" doesn't exactly go down too well.

I guess this is a "hello cult of Dreamcast" post :D. I used to post at OnlineConsoles at a few points some years back, I think called [UKR]Adam if anyone remembers (although if you do, it probably won't be for good reasons. I was like 12).

Strik3r91
letterbomb

Re: So surprised at how active DC PSO still is...

Post#2 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:18 am

Privet! Hello! Welcome back ;)
From love, with Russia :)

lerabot
blackout!

Post#3 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:05 pm

Welcome back ;)
Indie Game Studio

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#4 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:27 pm

once you got a Pi setup... dont forget to pick up maximum pool.. most underrated game currently online IMO...

;) :lol:

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#5 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:26 pm

Maximum Pool is arguably the most connection friendly game there is. Also one of the best Pool games ever made!
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

ncman071
Sunday Shootout

Post#6 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:50 pm

I concur in max pool. I just got the game this passed week and played some single player last night...starting to get the hang of it....as far as PSO....I have PSO v2 and just went to staples after church this am to get some blank discs...I'm going to my parents later tonight to burn the patcher....unfortunately my lap top HSS no disc drive

ncman071
Sunday Shootout

Post#7 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:51 pm

BTW, Bob when do you want to try Daytona and quake on Xbox again?

DiZMeX
shadow

Post#8 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:06 am

Thanks for the warm welcomes all :)

HuntrRose wrote:once you got a Pi setup... dont forget to pick up maximum pool.. most underrated game currently online IMO...

;) :lol:

Yeah I'll be grabbing myself a copy of every currently online Dreamcast game, ones I don't own I'll just burn until I can get myself a proper copy (I like owning the boxes for the games I really like).

I currently own PSO v2, Quake (both PAL and NTSC, lol) and Chu Chu Rocket which I have actually never played online and would love to as I believe it's the first true online console game (rather than a direct dial between you and 1 opponent). I also own Planet Ring and the mic that came with it, so I'd be interested to see what that's about too.

My copy of worms is so battered I need to get a new one, lol and I have a burned copy of Starlancer.

I do plan to eventually own a collection of all online Dreamcast games and ones that I really like, the games for Dreamcast are still quite abundant which is cool.

Something I'd be very interested in playing, and have a feeling I'd enjoy a lot is Alien Front Online. I've never used my DC mic either :P.

I'll be picking up the bits for a voltage inducer tomorrow. I'll be setting up a PC-DC server to begin with just for the fun of it, it's something I tried to do when I was 12 and failed miserably, so would be interesting to revisit it double the age with a networking degree.

ncman071 wrote:BTW, Bob when do you want to try Daytona and quake on Xbox again?

Quake without a mouse? Soundsbadbro :cry:

ncman071
Sunday Shootout

Post#9 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:31 pm

No its great.. I have never played quake with a mouse

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#10 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:05 pm

some people can do it some cant.. most of the people around here that use controller are Very good at it..